Board of Ethics
October 27, 2005
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF OCTOBER 27, 2005
1. Board Member Carolyn Lievers called the meeting to order at 1:30 pm. Also present was Board Member Ann Terry. Leslie Lawson, Leonard Plank and Lori Mack were absent.
2. Mary Werner and Sandra Shreve of the Denver League of Women Voters introduced themselves and indicated they may attend in the future to observe Board of Ethics meetings.
3. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes of the September 22, 2005 Board of Ethics meeting. Since a quorum of members was not present, approval will not be finalized until other Board Members vote.
4. Staff Director Michael Henry informed the Board that the Budget Office has approved a $6500 supplemental appropriation to print 10,000 copies of a revised and updated ethics handbook for city employees, officers and officials.
5. Board Members and Assistant City Attorney Christopher Lujan reviewed a draft of goals for 2006 for the Board of Ethics and agreed to add a new goal of tracking new city employees and sending reminders to those who do not attend ethics training within 4 months of being hired. Board members also agreed to explore with the Clerk and Recorder’s Office whether it and the Board of Ethics could collaborate to provide a training session for registered lobbyists in early 2006 to train them about the gift provisions of the Code of Ethics and the 2005 ordinance regulating lobbyists.
6. The Board Members and Assistant City Attorney Christopher Lujan discussed a draft of the revised ethics handbook and made numerous suggestions, particularly about making sections less redundant. There was a suggestion that, in addition to posting on the Board’s website a digest of selected Board of Ethics opinions, perhaps the entire texts of decisions could be posted in a separate section of the website.
7. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session to deliberate on Cases 05-27 and 05-28.
8. The Board adjourned at 3:20 pm following the executive session.
Michael Henry, Staff Director
Approved by Board of Ethics: November 17, 2005