Board of Ethics
July 28, 2005
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF JULY 28, 2005
1. Chair Leslie Lawson called the meeting to order at 1:40 pm. Also present were members Carolyn Lievers, Leonard P. Plank and Lori Mack. Ann Terry was absent.
2. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes of the June 23, 2005 Board of Ethics meeting.
3. Board member and Senior Judge Leonard Plank swore in new Board of Ethics member Lori Mack.
4. Staff Director Michael Henry reported that the Budget Office was still reviewing the Board’s budget request for 2006, which is for $83,592, as compared to the $86,000 appropriated for 2005. He also reported that the Board of Ethics will need to move its office in September to a location not yet determined, to make room for the Office of Cultural Affairs.
5. Michael Michalek from the Public Works Department presented information to the Board and responded to questions concerning Case 05-17, requesting advice concerning whether payments under the city’s new incentive pay program are regulated by the Code of Ethics.
6. Michael Henry asked the Board members to sign a letter to the Mayor to make him aware and obtain his approval of the Board’s plan to communicate with independent agencies, such as the Denver Urban Renewal Agency, Denver Public Library, Denver Housing Authority, Denver Water, etc., to consider voluntarily adopting the Denver Code of Ethics and/or utilizing the Denver Board of Ethics for ethics advice, ethics training, etc.
7. It was moved, seconded and passed that the Board adopt a confidentiality policy for itself, which is attached below.
8. The Board agreed unanimously to urge the Budget Office and the City Council to support a supplemental appropriation for the printing of 10,000 copies of an updated ethics handbook to be distributed to all city employees in the amount of approximately $7-8,000.
9. The Board reviewed a draft of a policy regarding gifts to the city and indicated that it would like to have further discussion at a later time.
10. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session to deliberate on Cases 05-17 through 05-21.
11. The Board adjourned at 3:30 pm following the executive session.
Michael Henry, Staff Director
Approved by the Board of Ethics on August 25, 2005