Board of Ethics
April 28, 2005
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF APRIL 28, 2005
1. Chair Carolyn Lievers called the meeting to order at 1:40 pm. Also present were Leonard Plank, Christopher Weimer, Leslie Lawson and Charles Savage.
2. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes of the March 24, 2005 Board of Ethics meeting.
3. Jim Nimmer of Career Service Authority discussed with the Board the latest draft of one section of the new annual Personnel Evaluation Plan Review, planned to begin in 2006, namely the STARS section (Service, Teamwork, Accountability and Respect). The draft includes sample behaviors, sample standards and sample measures from customers. The accountability subsection includes, among other items, ethics, honesty, and fairness. The Board members expressed appreciation for the presentation and concurred that by requiring City and County of Denver supervisors and employees to think about the Code of Ethics and ethics in general, the STARS evaluation of employees would assist in establishing an ethical culture in city government. Board members agreed to submit any comments or suggestions about the draft to Staff Director Michael Henry, who would forward them to Mr. Nimmer.
4. Robert Castaneda, director of fleet management in the Public Works Department, summarized and answered questions concerning his request for an advisory opinion. He proposed a new bid requirement for vendors wishing to bid to supply large custom-made vehicles, specifically that such vendors would need to agree to pay for travel to the assembly location by city personnel to inspect the first-assembled vehicle. He requested advice as to whether this would violate the Code of Ethics.
5. Board member Christopher Weimer, who is the director of the Mayor’s Office of Employee Assistance, informed the Board of growing numbers of city employee bankruptcies, workplace violence incidents and other indicators of serious stress in city workplaces.
6. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session to deliberate on Cases 05-8 through 05-10.
7. The Board adjourned at 3:15 pm following the executive session.
Michael Henry, Staff Director
Approved by Board of Ethics: May 26, 2005