Board of Ethics
July 22, 2004
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF JULY 22, 2004
1. Chair Carolyn Lievers called the meeting to order at 1:35 pm. Also present were Charles Savage, Christopher Weimer and Leslie Lawson. Leonard Plank was absent.
2. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes of the June 24, 2004 Board of Ethics meeting.
3. Teresa St. Peter, aide to City Councilwoman Jeanne Robb, summarized her request for an advisory opinion concerning outside business activity and responded to questions from Board members.
4. Mike Gunnare, an employee in the Office of Safety Information, summarized a request for an advisory opinion regarding outside business activity and answered questions from Board members.
5. Karl Schiemann, an inspector in the Department of Environmental Health, summarized his request for an advisory opinion regarding outside employment and responded to questions from Board members.
6. Board members continued their ongoing discussion regarding the Board’s proposals to improve the Code of Ethics. Carolyn Lievers, Staff Director Michael Henry and Assistant City Attorney Christopher Lujan reported that they attended the meeting of the City Council Inter-governmental Committee on July 13. The Committee requested the Board of Ethics to give further consideration to the proposed re-wording of the “charitable purpose” section of the Code of Ethics (2-60(c)) and the “four-meal or event” section (2-60(b)(4). The Board considered the charitable-purpose section and decided to revise the wording of its suggested change. The Board then determined that it did not wish to support any change to the existing four-meal or event section. This information will be presented to the Inter-governmental Committee at its next meeting on August 10.
7. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session to deliberate on Cases 04-23 and 04-29 through 04-34.
8. The Board adjourned following the conclusion of the executive session at 3:05 pm.
Approved by Board of Ethics on August 26, 2004.