Board of Ethics
September 23, 2004
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF SEPTEMBER 23, 2004
1. Chair Carolyn Lievers called the meeting to order at 1:35 pm. Also present were Charles Savage and Leonard Plank. Christopher Weimer and Leslie Lawson were absent.
2. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes of the August 26, 2004 Board of Ethics meeting.
3. Staff Director Michael Henry reported that the City Council passed unanimously Council Bill 617,on September 7, 2004, which included all of the amendments which had been supported by the Board of Ethics, the City Council Inter-governmental Committee and the City Attorney’s Office. He indicated that he will make every effort to make city employees aware of the changes. He also advised the Board that the Mayor’s recommended budget for 2005 does not contain the $10,000 requested by the Board to update and reprint the ethics handbook and to update the curriculum for ethics training. Some Board members indicated that they thought a request should be made for a supplemental appropriation for those purposes.
4. Matt Dolan, Betty Sparrow, Cec Ortiz and Myrna Hipp of the Workforce Development Division of the Office of Economic Development presented information and responded to questions concerning Case 04-41.
5. Professor Roy Wood and Susan Skie of the University of Denver discussed with the Board their planned survey to assist the Board to study the perceptions of past participants in Board of Ethics cases through telephone interviews and/or written surveys to gauge the level of satisfaction of participants.
6. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session to deliberate on Cases 04-38 through 04-41.
7. The Board adjourned following the conclusion of the executive session at 2:35 pm.
Approved by he Board of Ethics: October 28, 2004