Board of Ethics
September 25, 2003
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF SEPTEMBER 25, 2003
1. Chair Charles Savage called the meeting to order at 1:35pm. Also present was Christopher Weimer and Leonard Plank. Carolyn Lievers and Leslie Lawson were absent.
2. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes of the August 28, 2003 Board of Ethics meeting.
3. Staff Director Michael Henry reported that 80% of city employees have completed at least three hours of ethics training as of August 31, 2003 and that the Fire Department is scheduled to begin its ethics training in late October and complete it by mid-November. He also reported that several of Mayor Hickenlooper’s staff and Cabinet, as well as City Council members and members of the Auditor’s staff attended a full day of ethics training on September 19, presented by June Twinam. Two similar sessions are set for October 31 and December 5.
4. Kent Smiley from the Denver Office of Information Technology, Carol Rodarte and Kevin Patterson from the Community Planning and Development Department and Jim Allen from the Public Works Department presented information to the Board and responded to questions concerning a request for waivers to allow Mr. Smiley, Ms. Rodarte and Mr. Allen to accept travel and lodging expenses for a users’ conference in Toronto sponsored by a vendor of software used by those departments.
5. After discussion, Leonard Plank moved and Christopher Weimer seconded to approve the latest draft of recommended changes to the Code of Ethics. The motion passed unanimously. The recommendations will be transmitted to the Mayor and City Council in early October, with discussion with City Council’s Inter-governmental Committee likely to occur in November.
6. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session to deliberate on Cases 03-36 through 03-40.
7. The Board adjourned following the conclusion of the executive session at 2:45 pm.
Approved by Board of Ethics: November 20, 2003