Board of Ethics
August 28, 2003
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF AUGUST 28, 2003
1. Chair Charles Savage called the meeting to order at 1:35pm. Also present was Christopher Weimer. Leslie Lawson and Leonard Plank joined the meeting after a few minutes. Carolyn Lievers was absent.
2. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes of the July 24, 2003 Board of Ethics meeting.
3. Major Ron Foos and Division Chief Steve Comito addressed the Board and answered questions concerning a request for a waiver which would allow Major Foos to be in the line of supervision of his wife, a deputy sheriff at the Pre-Arraignment Detention Facility. Major Foos has recently been assigned to supervise PADF, in addition to Court Services, for budgetary reasons.
4. The Board then continued its discussion from the July 24, 2003 Board meeting about possible improvements to the Code of Ethics for presentation to City Council for consideration. Acting City Attorney Helen Raabe raised a number of issues with the current draft. Chairman Savage indicated that the recommended changes, after some modifications in response to Ms. Raabe’s concerns, would be circulated by e-mail to Board members for final approval and then will be submitted to City Council and the Mayor in mid-September.
5. Christopher Weimer moved and Leonard Plank seconded that the Board should adopt proposed revisions to the Rules of Procedure of the Board of Ethics. The revisions remove references to the Clerk and Recorder’s office, clarify that requests for advisory opinions are subject to the Colorado Open Records Act and correct some typographical errors. The motion passed unanimously. (The revisions are attached to the official copy of these minutes and have been posted on the Board of Ethics website: www.denvergov.org/ethics.)
6. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session to deliberate on Cases 03-33, 03-34 and 03-35 and to confirm the Board’s earlier screening decision in Cases 03-31 and 03-32.
7. The Board adjourned following the conclusion of the executive session at 3:15 pm.
Approved by the Board of Ethics – September 25, 2003