Board of Ethics
April 3, 2003
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF APRIL 3, 2003
1. Chair Charles Savage called the meting to order at 1:35 pm. Board members Christopher Weimer and Carolyn Lievers were also present. Denise Maes and Leslie M. Lawson were absent.
2. The minutes of the Board meeting of February 27, 2003, were approved.
3. Charles Savage urged all Board members to attend the public hearing on Case 03-2 on April 14, 2003. This will be the Board’s first hearing on an inquiry.
4. Charles Savage also encouraged Board members to attend a discussion with many of the city’s certified ethics trainers on April 25 at 2:00 pm in the Webb Building and also a forum for mayoral candidates co-sponsored by the Denver Diversity Advisory Committee and the Board of Ethics on April 29 at 11:30 am in the Webb Building.
5. Charles Savage and Staff Director Michael Henry advised the Board that 45.6% of City employees have completed ethics training as of February 28, 2003.
6. Michael Henry presented a report on the Board’s budget through March 31, 2003. With 25% of the year expired, the Board has expended or obligated 20.2% of the 2003 budget. He reported that all city agencies must submit their requests for the 2004 budget to the Budget and Management Office by May 31, 2003.
7. Emit Hurdelbrink of the Denver Office of Information Technology submitted information and responded to questions from Board members regarding Case 03-11, in which he requested a waiver to allow DOIT employees to accept travel expenses and lodging from a vendor for a trip to Memphis, Tennessee. The vendor had agreed in its contract with the city to provide certain services ( a “proof of concept”) in the Denver area; however two of the vendor’s subcontractors who had agreed to provide that service both went out of business.
8. Steve Berry, a Denver electrical inspector, gave comments regarding Case 03– 10.
9. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session to deliberate on Cases 03-10 through 03-13.
10. Following conclusion of the executive session, the meeting adjourned,
Michael Henry, Staff Director
Approved by the Board of Ethics on April 24, 2003