Board of Ethics
March 23, 2006
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF MARCH 23, 2006
- Chair Leslie Lawson called the meeting to order at 1:40 pm. Also present
were Carolyn Lievers, Lori Mack and Leonard Plank. Ann Terry was absent.
- It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes
of the February 23, 2006 Board of Ethics meeting.
- Staff Director Michael Henry advised the Board that the Board’s 2005 annual report has been distributed and posted on the Board’s
website: www.denvergov.org/ethics. He also mentioned that a front-page article
in the March edition of the Spotlight deals with Ethics in Denver City Government.
- Don Ronyak, Sylvia Smith and Teri Padilla of the Denver Diversity Advisory
Committee summarized the Committee’s request for an advisory opinion concerning
various issues with events sponsored by the Committee and responded to
questions from the Board.
- Commander Rhonda Jones of Police District 2 summarized her request for
an advisory opinion concerning possible fund-raising for the 2007 convention
of the International Association of Women Police and answered questions
from the Board.
- City Attorney Cole Finegan advised the Board concerning; 1) his office’s
opinion that members of the boards of business improvement districts are
to the Denver Code of Ethics, because such districts are established
by state law and 2) the establishment of a city task force which will discuss
and naming rights and private gifts regarding city facilities and
programs. The Board requested that a current or past member of the Board
of Ethics or
familiar with ethical issues be appointed to such task force.
- City Councilwoman Marcia Johnson summarized her request for an advisory
opinion concerning the possibility of placing private advertising in
her constituent newsletter and responded to questions from the Board.
was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session
to deliberate on Cases 05-46, 06-2, 06-7, 06-8 and 06-9.
- The Board adjourned at 3:00 pm following the executive session.
Michael Henry, Staff Director
Approved by Board of Ethics: April 27, 2006