Denver B-cycle launched April 24, 2010 as a continuation of Freewheelin bikes, a D.N.C. pilot program initiated in response to Mayor John W. Hickenlooper’s challenge to make the 2008 Convention the “greenest in the history of Mankind.” When the City and County of Denver decided to continue the pilot program it was critical to not use the City’s General Fund.
Along with Kaiser Permanente’s presenting sponsorship, the contributions from key community partners – Denver 2008 Convention Host Committee, the Walton Family Foundation, the Anschutz Foundation, Gates Family Foundation, the University of Colorado Housing Authority, and the Gary Williams Company – helped lay a foundation for success of bike sharing in Denver. In addition to private foundation and corporate support, Denver Bike Sharing was awarded $210,000 in 2009 from the federal Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant program. ARRA dollars were used to purchase bikes and kiosks for 7 stations to leverage private funding and ensure that the bike share system would easily integrate with public transit. Energy Efficiency Conservation Block Grant (EECBG) locations include the following:
1. Buchtel and High - 1901 Buchtel Blvd.
2. Louisiana and Pearl - 1300 S. Washington St.
3. Convention Center Light Rail - 700 14th St.
4. Union Station - 1700 Wynkoop St.
5. Market Street Station - 1600 Blake St.
6. 16th & Broadway - 1600 Broadway St.
7. Five Points - 710 E 26th Ave.