All Commissioner Requirements
· Commissioners must reside in the City and County of Denver
· Be able to attend 2 evening meetings a month (second and fourth Wednesday from 6:00-7:30) from September until the end of May
· Be able to attend an all day Saturday Retreat in early September
· Be willing to participate in two planned volunteer service projects throughout the school year
For the 2014-2015 School year the Commission is seeking 1 Adult Commissioner from a City of Denver agency and 5 Adult Commissioners from Private/Non-profit youth serving organizations. City agency Commissioners must have permission from the agency director to participate.
To be considered for an interview, interested adults must submit the following:
· Adult Commissioner Application
· Completed Essay (see questions below)
· Letter of recommendation
· Upon appointment Adult Commissioners must pass a criminal background check.
The Commission makes all attempts to only have one youth Commissioner for any given school.
For the 2014-2015 School year the Commission will not be accepting applications from students at the following schools:
· Bear Creek High School
· CEC Middle College of Denver
· George Washington High School
· Littleton High School
· Manual High School
· South High School
· Thomas Jefferson High School
· Venture Prep High School
Youth Commissioners are eligible to apply if they are between the ages of 14 and 16 by May 30, 2014.
To be considered for an interview, interested youth must submit the following:
· Youth Commissioner application
· Completed Essay ( see questions below)
· Letter of Recommendation
Commissioner Essay Questions (please use 250 words or less for each question)
1. Please explain why you want to be part of the Youth Commission and what is special about you that will bring a unique perspective to the group?
2. Which community issues you would like to address as part of the Mayor’s Youth Commission
Links to applications and forms:
2014 Mayor's Youth Commission Recruitment Information
2014 Adult Commissioner Application
2014 Youth Commissioner Application
2014 Youth Commission Essay Questions
All materials must be received by Frida, June 13, 2014 and can be emailed or mailed using the following information:
ATTN: Susan Wells, Office of Children Affairs
201 W. Colfax, Dept 1101
Denver, CO 80202
Only candidates with completed and signed applications will be considered. Applications will be reviewed in June and candidates will be interviewed in July. Finalists will be recommended to the Mayor for his consideration and appointment in August. Please contact Susan Wells if you need further information or have questions at 720-913-0904.