Denver Animal Shelter (DAS) cares for more than 8,000 animals each year. Our adoption program gives homeless pets a second chance at finding a permanent, caring home. The Hold Program helps customers reserve an animal—prior to it becoming available for adoption— by making a non-refundable donation at the customer service counter.
- Holds can only be done in person at the shelter.
- Only two holds are allowed per animal:
- First Hold: $15
- Second Hold: $10
- An individual cannot put both the first and second hold on the same animal.
- Customers interested in an animal are required to complete a Pre-Adoption Questionnaire. See the customer service counter for assistance.
- The non-refundable donation does not count toward the cost of adoption.
- A hold donation does not guarantee adoption. All animals are evaluated by DAS staff (including a veterinarian) to assess their health and behavior before being eligible for adoption. Once the animal has completed the assessments, the adoption coordinator will call the individual with the first hold (then the second hold, if necessary).
DAS adoptions include spay/neuter, vaccinations, & 1-year pet license.
All animals currently available can be viewed at www.denveranimalshelter.org.