It is estimated that 90,000 pets and animals die each year due to antifreeze poisoning.
Animals accidentally ingest conventional antifreeze from leaking radiators, boil overs, and improperly stored containers of used antifreeze. Pets are attracted to antifreeze for its sweet smell and taste. So dangerous is EG-based antifreeze, that a mere teaspoon can kill a cat and two ounces can kill a dog.
Antifreeze isn't fatal upon initial ingestion; it is the resulting metabolic acidosis and acute renal failure that causes death. Antifreeze poisoning can be treated if you know what signs to look for. If you suspect an animal has accidentally ingested antifreeze, treatment must be started within the first few hours to increase the survival rate.
Signs of antifreeze poisoning include vomiting, unsteady motion, listlessness, thirst, and frequent urination. As the ethylene glycol is metabolized, the animal's kidneys are being irreversibly damaged, followed by seizures, coma, and death.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Therefore, vehicles should be regularly checked to ensure they are free of antifreeze leaks. People should look for the telltale puddles in the driveway and promptly clean up any suspect fluids.