Holiday Hazards

 

PRECAUTIONS FOR PET OWNERS DURING THE HOLIDAYS

  • Poinsettias are extremely poisonous to cats and dogs. Precautions should be taken to move poinsettias so that animals cannot chew on the leaves.
  • Christmas trees should be secure so that cats and dogs cannot pull them down.
  • Tinsel and ribbons can be fatal to a dog, cat, or bird if swallowed.
  • Be cautious with holiday lights, they can also be fatal if a dog, cat or bird chews through the wires and it can also be a fire hazard for your home.
  • Make sure your fragile ornaments are out of reach of a curious cat or dog that might be attracted to the shinny surface or sparkles and try to bat it off the tree.
  • Don’t use popcorn for decorations. Dogs, cats, and birds can choke on popcorn.
  • If you are using a live tree, make sure that the preservative in the water is not poisonous to your pet. Many times, pets will mistake this water for drinking water.
  • Be sure that your animal is properly "potty-trained" or they might use the tree as a watering post.
  • Don’t feed you pets rich holiday foods. Don’t give your pet leftover turkey bones or other table scraps and don’t feed your animals candy, nuts, or chocolate which can be fatal.
Feedback