Denver Human Services provides one-on-one assistance to help people find and apply for Medicaid, Medicare and health insurance through Connect for Health Colorado.
Medicaid is free or low cost public health insurance for Coloradans who qualify. Medicaid can cover your doctor visits, emergency care, preventative care such as screenings and immunizations, and other procedures and treatments. You may also qualify for Long-Term Care Medicaid which can include nursing facility care and Home and Community-Based Services where health care providers deliver care in your home.
Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) is low-cost public health insurance for Colorado's uninsured children and pregnant women who earn too much to qualify for Medicaid, but cannot afford private insurance.
Colorado Indigent Care Program (CICP) provides discounted health services through qualified providers to Colorado residents, migrant workers and legal immigrants who are uninsured or underinsured. CICP is not a health insurance program. Services are restricted to participating hospitals and clinics throughout the state. Click here to find out how to apply for CICP.
Connect for Health Colorado is the only place where Coloradans can access new financial assistance based on income and other factors to reduce the cost of health insurance. Visit Connect for Health Colorado for more information.
Medicare is a medical insurance program for low-income individuals who have paid social security taxes and who are least 62 years of age, as well as their spouses and disabled children.
Step 1: Get an application
Online: Click here to apply online!In-person: You can pick up an application in person, Monday – Friday, 8:00a.m. – 4:30p.m., at our office at the Castro Building, 1200 Federal Blvd, Denver, CO 80204
If you live in zip codes 80205, 80206, 80207, 80216 and 80218, you can pick up an application at our East Satellite Office, 3815 Steele St., Denver, CO 80205.
If you live in the Montbello area (residence zip codes 80238, 80239, or 80249), you can pick up an application at our Montbello Satellite Office, 4685 Peoria St., Denver, CO 80239
Mail or Fax: We can send an application to you by mail or fax – please call us at 720-944-3666 to have one sent to you.
Step 2: Complete the application
Please fill out as much of the application as you can. At a minimum we will need to have your name, home street address, the benefits that you are applying for (see list on page 1 of the application), and signature on the application to begin the process (see page 8 of the application). If you need help or don't understand a question, a staff member at one of our offices can help you complete your application or you can call us at 720-944-3666.
Step 3: Return the application to one of our offices
You can return the application to any of the offices listed above. As long as you provide your name, home street address, and a signature, you can turn in the form to begin the process, but providing as much information as possible could help complete the process faster.
Please be prepared to supply following documents and information:
- Your identification, such as a drivers license or other picture ID;
- Social Security numbers (or proof you’ve applied for those numbers) for everyone requesting benefits;
- Proof of income for your household, such as pay stubs, Social Security, child support;
- Proof of other resources or assets, such as checking or savings account information, vehicle information, retirement accounts, stocks, life insurance;
- Proof of status in the U.S., such as Visa, Legal Permanent Resident Card, Passport, or
- Employment Authorization Card for everyone you are applying for;
- If someone is pregnant, proof of when the baby is due (letter or statement from a doctor or other health care provider);
- Information on any parent(s) not living in the home of the children you are applying for;
- Health insurance card or policy;
- Proof of expenses such as day care, rent, mortgage, utilities, child support, or medical bills.
For more information about healthcare insurance changes, visit