If you have recently moved to Colorado, you must apply for a Colorado title and registration for your vehicle within 90 days from establishing Colorado residency. Colorado residency is established when one of the following criteria is met:
- You have obtained employment in Colorado.
- You own or operate a business in Colorado.
- You have resided in Colorado continuously for 90 days.
Requirements and Statutes
You must apply at a Motor Vehicle office in the county where you reside. The following documents will be required:
- Secure and Verifiable Identification is required. Anyone other than a named owner must have a DR2175, Non-secure power of attorney to obtain license plates on behalf of a named owner and present his/her secure and verifiable identification.
- Title (if available) and/or current registration. If the registration is more than six months expired at the time of application, you must provide the title or a copy of the title.
- If you reside in Denver, you must show proof of a Colorado vehicle emissions test. For emissions testing stations located in Denver Metro, please visit Air Care Colorado.
- A current and accurate odometer reading.
- Proof of vehicle insurance coverage (insurance card, copy of insurance policy or letter from your insurance company on the company's letterhead)
- A Verification of Vehicle Identification Number form, DR 2698, completed by one of the following:
- County Clerk or Motor Vehicle Agent (VIN inspections are performed Mo-Fr , 9a-3p)
- Licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer
- Licensed Colorado emissions testing station
- Law enforcement officer; contact the local law enforcement agency to ensure that you may be serviced before you proceed to that office.
Once you arrive at the county Motor Vehicle office, you will be required to pay the title and registration fees. Your Colorado title will be mailed to you regardless of whether there is a lien against the vehicle. However, if there is a lien, the title will include a notation in the Lien Filing section of the title “not filed in Colorado.” Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.
Thank you for visiting our website!
Page revised August 26, 2011