Filing a lien is a process that involves using a motor vehicle title for collateral. Lien holders may be companies or individuals whom an applicant owes money, and where the title will be held by the lien holder until the debt has been paid in full.
Requirements and Statutes
Title work for lien filing must be sent to the buyer’s county of residence.
Whenever there is a retail sale of a motor vehicle, sales tax
- $5.00 per printed page up to 14” in length and 8 ½ in width.
- $10.00 per printed page for security agreements longer than 14” in length or 8 ½ in width
Acceptable copies of the security agreement include the original or carbon copy. All copies must be certified as a true and exact copy of the original “pursuant to C.R.S. 12-55-110”. This statute gives the notary the power to certify without having witnessed the original signatures.
A properly assigned title or M.S.O. is accompanied by an application for title (DR 2395), chattel mortgage/security agreement and sales tax receipts, are sent with filing fees. When all processing has been completed, customers will receive a post card notifying them that their paperwork is done.
LIEN FILING CHECKLIST
- Ensure that you submit a properly assigned title or Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO/MCO).
- Make sure the mortgage paperwork and vehicle description agrees with title or MSO.
- Mail the documents to the county where the buyer resides.
- Enclose all sales tax receipts for the purchase of the motor vehicle and sign all checks or money orders for calculated sales taxes due (7.72% of the purchase price) and proper filing fees.
- Remember that sales tax is only required for newly purchased vehicles; if the vehicle is being refinanced no sales tax are due as they have already been paid.
- Check for required signatures on each document.
- Include powers of attorney, VIN inspections, and weight slips where required.
- Properly release previous liens.
- Make checks or money orders payable to "Denver Manager of Finance".
Please mail lien requests to Denver Motor Vehicle, 4685 Peoria St., #101, Denver, CO 80239
Page revised July 24, 2009