The City and County of Denver is participating in America’s PrepareAthon! during the month of September. This is a new national community-based campaign for action that focuses on increasing emergency preparedness through hazard-specific drills, group discussions, community trainings and exercises. There are two national Days of Action (April 30 and Sept 30) where we encourage you to take some kind of action to better prepare yourselves, your community and/or your workplace. Please visit Ready.gov for ideas and information on how you can participate. You can sign up your activities with the America's PrepareAthon! to show how the Denver community is participating.
Denver OEMHS has several activities planned during the month of September to help you become better prepared for emergencies, either as an individual, family, or city agency. You can sign up for Citizen Emergency Response Training on the Denver OEMHS website, http://www.denvergov.org/DenverCERT. There are three CERT programs being offered in conjunction with America’s PrepareAthon during Sept and early Oct. One of the programs will be for individuals that are deaf and hard of hearing and another will be for individuals with access and functional needs and caregivers. Please see our website for a description of the CERT program and to register. Just click the 'Programs' tab and review the Whole Community Preparedness Programs to see what might interest you. The Calendar link will let you see all of the programs available. Simply click the Registration form tab to sign up.
Denver OEMHS is offering Brown Bag Lunches every Tuesday during September from 1130-1230 on a variety of emergency management topics:
- Sept 2-Family Preparedness Planning (discuss individual responsibilities during a disaster, making emergency plans for your family, packing a go kit, and important documents needed for individuals after a disaster) (Room 4I3 in Webb Bldg)
- Sept 9- Emergency Management Then and Now-from Civil Defense to 9/11 (Room 1.B.6 Webb Building)
- Sept 16-Emergency Alert and Warning Systems (Denver Outdoor Warning Sirens, Send Word Now, IPAWS/WEA, Weather Service Alerts) (Room 4I3 in Webb Bldg)
- Sept 23-- Denver Hazards (Room 4I3 in Webb Bldg)
- Sept 30- Tour of Denver’s Emergency Operations Center and discussion of its capabilities (Emergency Operations Center in basement of City and County Building, Room 3)
If your office is interested in having a preparedness brief for your staff during September (or any other time), please contact Carolyn Bluhm at email@example.com to make the arrangements.