Rebate Programs for the Elderly and Disabled

Although the City and County of Denver cannot lower the property taxes on your house, there are several programs designed to give you some relief.

Payment to the Elderly and Disabled Program

This program is sponsored by the City and County of Denver and provides a partial refund of Real Estate taxes or the equivalent in rent paid by Denver residents with limited incomes who are either over 65 years of age or are totally disabled.  Income for the calendar year must not exceed $15,100 for single persons or $21,900 for married couples.  To be eligible, the elderly or disabled person must have been a resident of Denver for the entire year.  Payments are based on income received.  The minimum payment is $186.00.  Applications for payments based on the eligibility year of 2011 will be accepted from May 1, 2012 through April 30, 2013.  Please contact Taxpayer Service at (720) 913-9300 or Special Accounts at (720) 913-9500 for forms.

Deferred Tax Program

This program is sponsored by the State of Colorado and the City and County of Denver.  In Colorado, citizens who are 65 years or older or a person in active military service may defer or postpone the payment of real estate property taxes on their residence, including mobile homes.  The value of the deferral and interest must not exceed the market value of the property less the value of any liens.

Denver fully supports and encourages participation by the elderly who are eligible and desire to reduce their current tax burden.  In order to participate in the deferral program for 2011 property taxes due in 2012, an individual must meet the following requirements:

  • Must be 65 years of age or older on January 1, 2011 or is a person called into military service on January 1 of the year in which the person files a claim.
  • Must own the residence individually or with spouse.
  • Must be occupying the residence.
  • Must not be earning any income from the property.
  • Property taxes on residence must be paid for prior years.
  • The applicant must produce acceptable forms of identification to verify the lawful presence in the United States and present the signed affidavit at the Treasurer's Office.


Please contact Diane Aragon – Treasury Division – Special Accounts at (720) 913-9432 for information and assistance with the application, which must be completed and returned by April 1 each year.

Colorado Property Tax or Rent/Heat Rebate Program

This program is sponsored by the State of Colorado and allows certain Colorado residents to qualify for a credit or refund of up to 100% of the general property tax paid by them on owner-occupied residences.  Please contact the State of Colorado at (303) 238-7378 if you need information about this program.