Core Functions of the Monitor’s Office
The Monitor’s Office “core functions” include:
Monitoring and reviewing Police, Sheriff and Fire Department critical incident investigations, specifically officer-involved shootings, in-custody deaths and uses of force resulting in great bodily injury or death;
- Monitoring the Denver Police Department (DPD) and the Denver Sheriff Department (DSD) internal affairs assignment decision making processes to ensure fairness and consistency in the handling of citizen and internally-initiated complaints and investigations;
- Monitoring and making recommendations regarding formal DPD and DSD internal investigations to ensure the investigations are thorough, fair and complete;
- Monitoring and making recommendations on DPD and DSD findings after investigations and the imposition of discipline after sustained findings are made. (This task includes the monitoring of Disciplinary Review Board deliberations and recommendations);
- Ensuring the citizen complaint process is accessible to the entire community and making community members aware of how their complaints were handled and why; and,
- Improving the timeliness of the entire complaint handling and disciplinary processes for DPD and DSD.