Board of Ethics
June 23, 2005
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF JUNE 23, 2005
1. Chair Leslie Lawson called the meeting to order at 1:35 pm. Also present were members Carolyn Lievers and Ann Terry. Leonard P. Plank and Lori Mack were absent.
2. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes of the May 26, 2005 Board of Ethics meeting.
3. Peggy Kerns, the director of the Center for Ethics in Government of the National Conference of State Legislatures led a discussion of trends in governmental ethics programs in various states. She indicated that officials in two states had recently withdrawn funding for ethics agencies because the officials disapproved of the decisions of the ethics agencies. She said that at least six state governments had had major ethics scandals in the last year and that many states were substantially revising their ethics laws, usually in response to scandals. She said that 39 states now have state ethics agencies and all states now require registration of lobbyists. Many states have recently strengthened regulations regarding gifts and campaign contributions. She presented two white papers prepared by NCSL, 1) Regulating Vendor Lobbyists: a New Trend and 2) Conflict of Interest: What Is It? Can You Avoid It?
4. The Board expressed great appreciation for the dedicated service to the city and valuable contributions to the Board of Ethics by outgoing Board members Charles F. Savage and Christopher C. Weimer.
5. Staff Director Michael Henry reported to the Board that he had submitted a budget request for 2006 in compliance with the requested reduction for all city agencies.
6. Darlene Martinez presented information to the Board and responded to questions regarding Case 05-13.
7. Dolores Martinez presented information to the Board and answered questions about Case 05-16.
8. Abdul Sesay explained the facts and answered questions concerning Case 05-15.
9. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session to deliberate on Cases 05-12 through 05-16.
10. The Board adjourned at 3:20 pm following the executive session.
Michael Henry, Staff Director
Approved by the Board of Ethics: July 28, 2005