Board of Ethics
January 27, 2005
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF JANUARY 27, 2005
1. Chair Carolyn Lievers called the meeting to order at 1:40 pm. Also present were Charles Savage, Leonard Plank and Christopher Weimer. Leslie Lawson was absent.
2. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes of the December 16, 2004 Board of Ethics meeting.
3. Lisa Zoeller, aide to City Councilwoman-at-large Carol Boigon presented information and responded to questions concerning her request for an advisory opinion or waiver concerning acceptance of travel expenses from Volunteers of America, a non-profit organization.
4. Mr. L. W. Morrow made comments about two inquiries that he had filed in 2004, which had been dismissed by the Board of Ethics.
5. Professors Spoma Jovanovic of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and Roy Wood of the University of Denver presented the results of an independent survey done under the auspices of the Center for Civic Ethics of the University of Denver. The survey was entitled Evaluation of Citizen and Employee Experiences with the Denver Board of Ethics 2001-2004 and had the general purpose of gauging customer satisfaction with the Board of Ethics. The surveyors were able to contact 100 individuals who filed requests for advisory opinions, filed inquiries (complaints) or were the subjects of inquiries (complaints). Of those, 38 responded to the survey and 81% of those had a “comfort level” of 8 or higher after the Board of Ethics resolved the cases (10 being the highest level). The survey authors also gave suggestions as to how the Board could improve its communication with city employees and citizens.
6. The Board reviewed and approved the draft of its 2004 Annual report, which will be presented to City Council and the Mayor and other city leaders. It will also be posted on the Board’s website: www.denvergov.org/ethics.
7. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session to deliberate on Cases 04-48, 05-1 and 05-2.
8. The Board adjourned following the conclusion of the executive session at 3:10 p.m.
Approved by Board of Ethics: February 24, 2005