Board of Ethics
February 24, 2005
DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF FEBRUARY 24, 2005
1. Vice Chair Leonard Plank called the meeting to order at 1:40 pm. Also present were Charles Savage, Christopher Weimer and Leslie Lawson. Carolyn Lievers was absent.
2. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes of the January 27, 2005 Board of Ethics meeting.
3. Staff Director Michael Henry reported that he has sent copies of the Board of Ethics 2004 Annual Report to the Mayor, City Council, agency heads and ethics trainers. The report is available at www.denvergov.org/ethics. He also advised the Board that the Mayor and the Board of Ethics will be sending reprints of an article entitled “The Buck Starts Here: How to Manage a Large Organization with Honesty and Integrity” to top city leaders.
4. Bill Benerman and Greg McKnight of the Department of Environmental Health spoke to the Board about a request for advisory opinion that Mr. Benerman had filed and responded to questions from the Board members.
5. Fred Oliva, Director of Corrections, summarized a request for an advisory opinion that he had filed. He advised the Board that the Manager of Safety is currently developing a new policy on the same issue. The Board decided that the Board would prefer to review the new policy when it has been developed and postpone its advisory opinion until that time.
6. John Bennett, recently retired as Executive Director of the City Council spoke to the Board concerning a request that he had made to the Board for an advisory opinion. Deputy City Attorney Michelle Lucero also spoke to the Board about the same matter.
7. It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to go into executive session to deliberate on Cases 04-49 and 05-3.
8. The Board adjourned following the conclusion of the executive session at 2:45 pm.
Michael Henry, Staff Director
Approved by the Board of Ethics on March 24, 2005