DENVER BOARD OF ETHICS
MEETING OF NOVEMBER 16, 2006
Vice Chair Lori Mack called the meeting to order at 1:40 pm. Also present were Leslie Lawson, Leonard Plank and Carolyn Lievers. Ann Terry was absent.
- It was moved, seconded and passed unanimously to approve the minutes of the September October 26, 2006 Board of Ethics meeting.
- Staff Director Michael Henry announced that the Board of Ethics will host a Knowledge Around Noon discussion about ethics for city employees on November 29 and encouraged participation from Board members. He also announced that he will work with the District Attorney’s office to provide a training session in 2007 about ethics for employees of that office, which, even though they are not “city” employees are subject to the Denver Code of Ethics by order of the District Attorney.
- Cindy Ortega, a city employee from the Department of Human Services, and her attorneys, Robert Thompson and Theresa Zoltanski, explained and answered questions about Ms. Ortega’s request for an advisory opinion regarding outside employment and conflict of interest issues.
- The Board had a general discussion about whether Board members, in deliberating on cases, can consider matters not “in the record.’ The consensus was that they cannot , because due process requires that parties to a case should know what is being considered and should have the opportunity to comment on items being considered. By the decision-makers.
- There was not sufficient time to continue with discussion from the September 28 Board meeting concerning “gifts to the city.” The Board will conduct further discussion on December 7.
- It was moved, seconded and passed to go into executive session to consider Cases 06-37, 06-38, 06-44 and 06-45.
- The meeting adjourned at 3:00 following the conclusion of the executive session.
Michael Henry, Staff Director
Approved by the Board of Ethics: December 7, 2006