Airport Legal Services is the section of the Department of Law with the sole function of providing legal services to the Denver Department of Aviation. The Department of Aviation manages, operates and maintains Denver International Airport, one of the top ten busiest airports in the world, one of the top five busiest in the United States and the largest airfield in the nation. The Department of Aviation is also responsible for the disposition and development of the former Stapleton International Airport site, one of the fastest growing residential and commercial neighborhoods in Denver.
The section provides general legal representation, which includes:
- defending all litigation and claims made against the Department;
- protecting the Department’s claims in bankruptcy court;
- drafting airline agreements and all other contracts;
- handling real estate transactions; and
- advising on regulatory compliance, bond transactions and other financial matters, construction
- projects, concession programs, operation and maintenance issues, and
- environmental programs.
The professional staff of Airport Legal Services is headed by Xavier S. L. DuRán, Director, and Helen Eckardt Berkman, Asst. Director.