The City Attorney’s Office welcomes you to the Victim Resource Program. As the victim of a crime, you may have questions and concerns about the criminal justice process. This website is designed to answer those questions and provide information to increase your level of comfort with and confidence in Denver’s criminal legal system.
The Victim Resource Program provides information and support services to victims of Denver municipal ordinance violations: we work to ensure that all victims have the opportunity to actively participate in the criminal justice process. Our Victim Specialists are eager to assist victims throughout the entire court process, from arraignment through sentencing.
What can a Victim Specialist do for you?
- Explain the criminal justice system
- Act as a link between prosecutors and victims
- Provide updates on the status of a case and upcoming court dates, times, and locations
- Make referrals for shelter, food, counseling, etc.
- Answer questions regarding the arraignment, trial, and sentencing process
- Accompany you to court when you testify
- Assist with the restitution process
- Provide information on Victims’ Compensation
- Help you write a victim impact statement
- Assist with safety planning
- Supply stalking safety kits
- Provide a safe, private area where you can wait before and after testifying
- Guide you through the Address Confidentiality Program
- Supply an emergency cell phone
- Provide referrals to other social service agencies that offer financial and supportive services
- Guide you through the protection order process
- Arrange for transportation to and from court
If at any time you have questions about the case you are involved in, please contact one of our advocates by calling 720.913.8020. If possible, please have the case number handy for quick reference. CONVERSATIONS HAD WITH OUR ADVOCATES AND/OR PROSECUTORS ARE NOT CONFIDENTIAL. Information you share may be used in the criminal prosecution of the case.
We also invite you to meet with a Victim Specialist or the Specialized Domestic Violence Prosecutor in person at the Victim Outreach Office, in the Van Cise Simonet Detention Center located at 490 W. Colfax, first floor, Denver, CO 80202.
The City Attorney’s Office endeavors to offer every victim:
- with fairness, respect and dignity,
- protection from harm,
- information about various phases of the criminal case,
- notification of arrests, releases, legal proceedings, sentencing and parole hearings,
- the return of property after the case is settled, and
- information about Victims’ Compensation.
While the Victims’ Rights Amendment does not apply to Municipal cases, the City Attorney’s Office is committed to all its principles.
For more resources, please visit the City Attorney main page.