How To File A Claim


(For any party who may want to make a claim for property damage and/or bodily injury resulting from an accident or incident involving the City and County of Denver) 

1. Write and file a Notice of Claim (letter) that complies with the provisions of the Colorado Governmental Immunity Act notice requirements found in C.R.S. §24-10-109. 

2. Mail or deliver your Notice of Claim to:

Mayor Michael B. Hancock

1437 Bannock Street, Room 350

Denver, CO 80202

3. The Mayor’s Office will forward your Notice of Claim to the Denver City Attorney’s Office. You will receive a letter, which will provide the Mayor’s Referral number and a contact phone number.

 4. If you have any questions you may call 720.913.3296. Please be advised that City employees cannot provide legal advice or assist you in filing your claim.


24-10-109. Notice required - contents - to whom given - limitations

(1) Any person claiming to have suffered an injury by a public entity or by an employee thereof while in the course of such employment, whether or not by a willful and wanton act or omission, shall file a written notice as provided in this section within one hundred eighty days after the date of the discovery of the injury, regardless of whether the person then knew all of the elements of a claim or of a cause of action for such injury. Compliance with the provisions of this section shall be a jurisdictional prerequisite to any action brought under the provisions of this article, and failure of compliance shall forever bar any such action.

(2) The notice shall contain the following:

(a) The name and address of the claimant and the name and address of his attorney, if any;

(b) A concise statement of the factual basis of the claim, including the date, time, place, and circumstances of the act, omission, or event complained of;

(c) The name and address of any public employee involved, if known;

(d) A concise statement of the nature and the extent of the injury claimed to have been suffered;

(e) A statement of the amount of monetary damages that is being requested.

(3) If the claim is against the state or an employee thereof, the notice shall be filed with the attorney general. If the claim is against any other public entity or an employee thereof, the notice shall be filed with the governing body of the public entity or the attorney representing the public entity. Such notice shall be effective upon mailing by registered mail or upon personal service.

(4) When the claim is one for death by wrongful act or omission, the notice may be presented by the personal representative, surviving spouse, or next of kin of the deceased.

(5) Any action brought pursuant to this article shall be commenced within the time period provided for that type of action in articles 80 and 81 of title 13, C.R.S., relating to limitation of actions, or it shall be forever barred; except that, if compliance with the provisions of subsection (6) of this section would otherwise result in the barring of an action, such time period shall be extended by the time period required for compliance with the provisions of subsection (6) of this section.

(6) No action brought pursuant to this article shall be commenced until after the claimant who has filed timely notice pursuant to subsection (1) of this section has received notice from the public entity that the public entity has denied the claim or until after ninety days has passed following the filing of the notice of claim required by this section, whichever occurs first.

§24-10-109, C.R.S. (2006)