We defend the City against all claims of alleged wrongdoing. The City is self-insured, thus all settlements and judgments are paid by City taxpayers. As defenders of the City pocketbook, we analyze each claim to determine liability.
We offer a fair settlement when potential liability exists and litigate all claims where the City is not liable.
We also represent the City in all employment-related legal matters. We defend the City against claims of alleged wrongful discipline; workers' compensation claims; and claims for unemployment benefits. We also negotiate all collective bargaining agreements with City firefighters, police officers and deputy sheriffs.
- Defend the City and its officials and employees in civil lawsuits involving personal injury, property damage, constitutional and civil rights claims
- Defend the City against civil lawsuits involving alleged violations of Equal Employment Opportunity and other federal and state laws governing employment
- Represent the City in administrative appeals involving the discipline of City employees, workers’ compensation and unemployment benefits claims
- Provide legal counsel to the Mayor, City Council and all City agencies and departments
- Provide intra-agency training regarding legal updates, liability risks and best practices