On-line applications for the Lateral Police Officer testing for the months of March and April 2014 will be accepted on Monday, January 6, 2014 at 9:00 a.m.
Out of State Laterals will test the week of February 24th-28th, 2014. If you are an Out of State Lateral and interested in taking advantage of testing during the week of February 24th-28th, 2014, please apply as a "walk-in" applicant, additional information will be sent to you.
2014 TESTING CALENDAR
To apply for a Lateral Police Officer position, you must meet the following requirements:
- Possess a current Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certification or state equivalent;
- not currently under Internal Affairs investigation for any reason;
- a minimum of three (3) years of law enforcement experience performing calls to service or street duty (Patrol Experience) while employed full-time;
- currently employed full-time as a state certified law enforcement officer by a state, county, or municipal police or sheriff's department; OR
- laid-off or retired within the last twelve (12) months from such a full time, state certified law enforcement position; AND have been in good standing at the time of lay-off or retirement.
The following types of experience are NOT regarded as "law enforcement" experience for the purpose of Lateral to the Denver Police Department:
- Deputy/Officer employed in a jail/prison setting;
- "Full Service" employment in a university setting;
- A volunteer reserve police officer;
- A military police officer;
- A District Attorney investigator;
- Employment on a part-time basis; or
- Time spent in a training academy.
Before completing the official on-line application, we encourage all prospective applicants to complete a Lateral Pre-Assessment to see if you qualify.
Click here Lateral Pre-Assessment
The Denver Police Academy functions as a combined Lateral and Entry-level recruit program. All new hires begin at Entry-Level Police Officer pay and grade. At the discretion of the Academy, Lateral recruits may graduate on average after 15 weeks of Academy training depending upon past experience and training. At the discretion of the Academy, Lateral recruits who do not graduate at 15 weeks are required to complete up to 27 weeks of Academy training.
Effective 1/1/2014, while in the Academy, all Police recruits will receive recruit pay of $46,913.00 plus benefits. However, upon successful completion of the Academy, and at the discretion of the Manager of Safety, Lateral recruits may be appointed (depending on merit, experience or record) to the rank of Police Officer 3rd
grade per Charter provision. Pay will be adjusted according to the appointed rank. See the Lateral Police Officer Examination Informational booklet
Lateral Transfer Police Test Preparation Materials
Still have questions?
Felisa M. Urdiales