The Denver Office of the Clerk and Recorder would like to extend the condolences of its entire staff to the family of Councilwoman Carla Madison who passed away on April 5, 2011. Councilwoman Madison was a true delight and a dedicated servant to her constituents and the entire City of County of Denver.
In light of a City Council District 8 vacancy, voters in Council District 8 need to be aware of the following information for the May 3, 2011 Municipal General Election.
- Ballots for the election have already been printed. Therefore, Councilwoman Madison’s name will still be on the ballot that is sent to voters on April 14. No other candidates filed for the position, therefore no other candidate names will appear on the ballot for Council District 8.
- Any votes cast for a candidate who passes away after ballots are printed and before the election takes place will not be counted.
- Votes for write-in candidates are allowed in this race. However, write-in candidates must file a notarized Write-In Affidavit of Intent with the Denver Elections Division in order for their votes to be counted. The deadline to file an Affidavit of Intent is 6 p.m., Monday, April 18.
- The winner of a write-in campaign for District 8 will serve the full 4-year term beginning on July 18, 2011.
- If no candidate receives more than 50% of the vote on May 3, there will be a run off on June 7 between the two candidates who receive the most votes.