According to the Humane Society of the United States, an estimated 6 to 8 million dogs and cats enter U.S. shelters each year: 50% of these animals (3 to 4 million) are euthanized because there are not enough homes for them — that’s one every 8 seconds! As tremendous as the problem of pet overpopulation is, it can be drastically improved if each of us takes just one small step: spaying/neutering our pets. Spay/neuter surgery is commonly and routinely performed every day. Here are the top 10 reasons to spay/neuter:
1. Helps dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives by preventing certain types of cancers.
2. Helps to prevent behavior problems.
3. Makes pets less likely to roam the neighborhood, run away, be injured, or get into fights.
4. Helps keep pets and communities safer by preventing animal bites and aggression.
5. Helps prevent pet overpopulation by ensuring no more unwanted animals are born.
6. Helps to prevent your pet from spraying or marking, which can ruin furniture and carpeting.
7. Eliminates female pet heat cycles, eliminating constant crying and nervous behavior.
8. Makes life easier on you and your pet — no headaches caring for animals in heat or caring for offspring, finding them homes, etc.
9. Helps homeless animals have a better chance of finding their forever homes. Think you want to breed to “keep your bloodline alive”? Only 1 dog out of most litters will stay in its first home for its entire life – most end up in the shelter system. (30% of surrendered dogs are purebreds.)
10. Saves you money! Spay/neuter surgery is highly cost-effective, and is a lot less than the cost of having and caring for a litter. It also beats the cost of treatment when your unneutered male escapes and gets into fights with the neighborhood stray!
The DFL Mobile Spay/Neuter clinic is at DAS several days each month providing low-cost dog spay/neuter services for income qualified individuals: Check the DFL mobile spay/neuter clinic schedule at http://www.ddfl.org/spayneuter
The DFL Mobile Spay/Neuter clinic provides high-quality, low-cost spay and neuter services for dogs, including age-appropriate vaccines. For more details and income qualifications, click here.
The DFL Mobile Spay/Neuter clinic is at DAS several days each month providing FREE cat spay/neuter services: Check the DFL mobile spay/neuter clinic schedule at http://www.ddfl.org/spayneuter
The DFL Mobile Spay/Neuter clinic provides high-quality, free spay and neuter services for cats, including age-appropriate vaccines. For more details and income qualifications, click here.
1241 W. Bayaud Ave.
Denver, CO 80223
3-1-1 or 720-913-1311
Adoption visits end one hour before closing (all adoptions must have a visit prior to paperwork being started).
Adoption lobby is closed to visitors 30 minutes before closing.
Owner redemption paperwork must be started by 30 minutes before closing.
Mon – Fri | 10:30 a.m – 6:30 p.m.
Sat & Sun | 11:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m.
Vaccination Clinic Services
Sat | 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Sun | 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.