Skip navigation

Project Guide for Garages (Attached and Detached)

This guide is intended to provide you an overview of the permitting process for attached and detached garages.

For detached garages, see also:

Electronic Submittal for Detached Garage Applications

The email address for electronic submittals of detached garages has changed! Please use, which is a dedicated inbox to streamline submittal and review of detached garage applications. 

Completed zoning and building permit applications for detached residential garages (single-family and duplex projects) are accepted for review electronically via email in order to save customer time and eliminate the need for waiting in line at the Permit Counter. Customers may submit applications via e-mail or may drop them off at the Permit Counter for expedited review (within seven days) by signing in to the Residential (Single-Family or Duplex) Walk-Through queue.

Help Me Get Started . . .

Before you start your project, you need to know what regulations apply to your property and what factors may impact your project. You'll need to consider:

Historic Landmark Status

Any project that involves changes to the exterior of landmark structures or properties in historic landmark districts must be reviewed by Landmark Preservation staff before you begin. The appropriate zoning, building, curb cut, or revocable permits needed for the project will be issued only after design review has been completed and the project has been approved. To determine your property’s landmark status, use the DevelopDENVER tool to the right. Then, visit the design review web page for more information.


Zoning establishes standards for things such as the size and location of structures and acceptable uses for your property. Before you begin construction, you need to be sure your project is in compliance with the Denver Zoning Code. Use the DevelopDENVER tool to the right to determine the zoning for your property. In the results, click on your zone district for descriptions and definitions; then, click on your neighborhood context for more information on zoning in your area.


Any project that encroaches on a designated parkway setback will need to undergo parkways review. Certain parkways and boulevards are specifically designated by ordinance to preserve their unique character. Each designated parkway has its own right-of-way width and regulations of setback distance of structures and signs. If you are unsure if you live along a designated parkway or for your parkway’s specific regulations, enter your address into the DevelopDENVER tool at right. Look under “Designated Parkways” on the results panel on the left. If a specific parkway appears, click on the “Details” button for information on setbacks.

Denver Forestry

If any portion of your project has the potential to affect the trunk, canopy or roots of the street trees around your property, before you begin, you must contact Denver Forestry by email ( or phone (720-913-0651) to evaluate your project.  Any removal, trimming or planting of trees within the public right of way must be permitted through the City Forester’s Office.  Damages to street trees may result in the issuance of administrative citations and/or fines.  Visit the Denver Forestry web page and click on Property Owner Resources for information on hiring a licensed tree service company or requesting a permit.

Building Code

Denver Building Code provides minimum standards for building in order to safeguard public safety, health and welfare. The permitting and inspection process ensures that all home projects meet these standards and that all dwellings are safe and habitable at the time of construction.

Location of Utilities

When designing your project, you need to know where utilities are located. You cannot build over existing utilities. Before you dig, contact the Utility Notification Center of Colorado at 1-800-922-1987 or 811 to mark underground utilities for your project.

Location of Existing Sewer Lines

If you plan to build a new structure over or within 2 feet of the existing sanitary sewer, you will need to replace the sanitary sewer with approved materials. A plumbing contractor can help you locate the sewer lines on your property. Visit Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP) for application, guidelines and other specific information. Contact the Department of Public Works at 303-446-3759 for additional details.


Transportation review and approval is needed if you are changing the location of any driveways that connect to public streets or proposing improvements, such as changing the curb cut, within the “right of way” (ROW), which includes public streets and sidewalks. All ROW projects must be performed by a licensed contractor and in full compliance with the City Charter, ordinances, permitting processes and all other applicable standards, specifications and requirements. Licensed contractors can obtain ROW permits at Public Works Permit Operations, 2000 West 3rd Avenue, or directly from the ROW inspector at (303) 446-3469. NOTE: Alterations to a driveway that connects to an alley, instead of a public street or sidewalk, do not require transportation review.

Listed in the order they must be obtained. All permits must be in hand and at site before work may begin.

  1. Current City of Denver Contractor’s License Affidavit of Requirements for Owner-Occupier Permits (see Issuance of Owner-Occupier Permits (PDF) for more information). 
  2. Landmark Certificate of Appropriateness – if the project is in a designated historic district or landmark property. Visit the Design Review web page for more information.
  3. Forestry Review – required if your project will impact the canopy or roots of street trees. Contact Denver Forestry by email ( or by phone at 720-913-0651 to evaluate your project and visit the Denver Forestry web page for additional information. Allow about 3 to 5 business working days for inspections and approval.
  4. Parkways Review – if your property is along a designated parkway and the project encroaches on the parkway setback
    You will need: A completed Parkway Exception Request form and a site plan that includes property lines, parkway setback from property line, proposed type, location and dimensions of encroachment into parkway setback, location of existing residence on property and labeled streets. To get a copy of the form and additional information, contact
  5. Transportation Review - if project involves a new or modified driveway connection to the street (curb cut) and other major right-of-way (ROW) improvements; review is not required if driveway connects to alley instead of the street.
    You will need: A site plan that includes the location of the existing and proposed driveways; dimensions from the driveway to the property line and any adjacent driveways; width of driveway; and material used in construction. Find the city transportation engineer assigned to your area using the DevelopDENVER tool at right and contact him/her for more information.
    NOTE: If the proposed driveway connects to a State Highway then CDOT access permits and a Transportation Engineering Plan will be required. For questions about the driveway location, Transportation Engineering Plan, or CDOT access permit requirements, please contact your Site Engineering Transportation Engineer using the DevelopDENVER property tool to the right.
  6. Adjacent Property Owner Notification (attached garages only), if the project requires demolition or excavation
    Building permit applicant must submit either a return receipt of certified mail delivery or a signed receipt of personal notification for all adjacent properties at the time of permit application and plan submission at permit counter. A permit will not be issued until 10 working days after adjacent property owners were notified.

The above must be in hand before you apply for the following:

*For a complete list of required documentation for zoning and building plan review, including minimum submittal requirements, download the  Residential Permitting Guide (PDF). Zoning and/or building permit applications for logged-in residential projects will only be accepted if minimum submittal requirements are met. 

  1. Zoning and Building Permits
    - See Zoning and Building Permitting Guide - Detached Garage - Electronic submission (PDF) for application and submittal checklist for detached garages. 
    - See Residential Permitting Guide (PDF) for application and submittal checklist for attached garages. 
  2. Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP) (Plan Review) - required for all new foundations. Click link for application, guidelines and other information.
    Visit the wastewater permits page for application, complete submittal requirements and guidelines, and other information.
  3. #11 Forced-Air Furnaces, Ventilation and Air Conditioning and Gas Piping Permit (Quick Permit)
  4. #3 Electrical (Quick permit)
  5. #2 Roofing Permit (Quick Permit), including information on the number and type of shingles
  6. Right of Way Street Occupancy Permit - if work will temporarily block the public right of way; use the worksheets for street occupancy and street cuts to complete the Public Works Right of Way Permit Application
  7. Right of way (ROW) Construction Permit – required for all work located in the ROW, which must be performed by a licensed contractor. Contractors can obtain the ROW permits at Public Works Permit Operations, 2000 West 3rd Avenue or directly from the ROW inspector at (303) 446-3469. NOTE: If significant improvements within the ROW are being proposed, you will need a transportation plan. Find your transportation engineer using the DevelopDENVER tool at right and contact him/her for more information.

For attached garages:
SUDP application and materials may be submitted by email ( or  online via e-Plan.

Quick Permits may be applied for by email. See For same day service, sign in online or at the kiosk once for two Quick Permits at a time. 

Sign in online or at the kiosk once for zoning and #1R permits (Log In).

For detached garages:
SUDP application and materials may be submitted by email ( or  online via e-Plan if the property is in a floodplain or if there is a change of use. If the additional space does not change the use and the property is not in a floodplain, the application may be submitted via Same Day Review at the Development Services Permit Counter (sign in online or at the kiosk for SUPD).

Quick Permits may be applied for by email. See For same day service, sign in online or at the kiosk once for two Quick Permits at a time. 

Zoning and building permit applications can be submitted via email to

Estimate Fees
Zoning and Building permit fees are based on valuation of the work to be completed including the labor and materials. 

NOTE:  When a Same Day Review is required for the #1R Permit, a  "walk through" submittal fee of 20% of the valuation of the work to be completed with a $100.00 minimum will be charged in addition to building permit fees.

For Wastewater, there is a $100 application fee plus appropriate fees.  The fees change yearly.

 Street Occupancy and Street Cut fees are based on the linear footage being occupied, square footage for cut and street location/ type.

ROW permit fees are based on the amount of work constructed and the amount of time they are occupying the ROW.   

There are no fees for Transportation, Parkways or Landmark review.

View the permit fee schedules to estimate the fees required for your project.

Pay Fees
Fees can be paid in person at our cashier on the 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb Building. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover Card, cash and personal checks at our counter.

To pay by mail, send check to:
Development Services
Wellington Webb Municipal Building
201 W. Colfax Ave., 2nd Floor
Denver, Colorado 80202

Approved construction set of documents, permits and inspector signature card are to be available on site upon request.

Typical inspections for attached and detached garages include the following:  

  • UFER
  • Footing
  • Foundation Wall
  • Underground Electrical
  • Exterior Sheathing
  • Rough Utilities (Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing)
  • Frame
  • Roofing
  • Exterior Lath
  • Drywall
  • Framing final inspection
  • Final Utilities (Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing)
  • Final Construction
  • Fire - If your project is within five feet of the property line, you will need to install a 1 hour fire wall
  • Wastewater sanitary sewer replacement if building is over or within 2 feet of sewer or if approved plans show sewer replacement.  
  • ROW - Construction Engineering will inspect work performed in the ROW and check to see if ROW infrastructure was damaged during construction.
  • Denver Forestry


NOTE:  The inspections listed above may vary depending on the complexity of your project. You will be advised as to which inspections your project requires through the permitting process and by your inspector.


Who Will Be Doing the Work?

Decide whether you plan to complete the project yourself or hire a licensed contractor to complete the job for you.

Do It Yourself

Do-It-YourselfYou may need to pass a Home owners exam  to demonstrate proficiency in specific trades in order to get a permit to do the work yourself. 

You will also need to meet a set of requirements established by the Denver Building Code and the Building Department Policy ADMIN 131.3 governing homeowner completed work.  This policy can be found on our Building Codes, Forms and Policies page. 


Contractors Use the Contractor license search to see if your contractor has obtained a contractor's license from the City and County of Denver. 


To view other considerations, see our Doing the Work Yourself page.

Home Projects

Every project is different.  Depending upon the complexity of your project, the permit requirements and inspection process may vary from the information presented in this guide.  If you have any questions, please contact us.


What you need to know for your project!

Enter your property address or street intersection:
View property details including zoning, landmark status, inspector districts and more.