Skip navigation

General FAQ


  • Email:
  • Phone: 311 inside Denver, or 720-865-8400
  • Address: 201 West Colfax Avenue, Department #101, Wellington Webb Building 
  • Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday

Customers needing a document notarized can get that service for free at the cashier's window on the second floor of the Wellington Webb office building, or usually at your local bank.

  • Electronic (or "wire") transfers
  • Visa, MasterCard or Discover is accepted for releases of deeds of trust.
  • Personal checks are accepted for small amounts, such as those for copies. These checks should be made out to Manager of Finance.
  • Redemption or cure payments must be paid in cash, electronic transfer or certified funds from a bank. Certified checks should be made out to Denver County Public Trustee.

The photocopy fee for Public Trustee documents is 25 cents per page.

Foreclosure FAQ

No, all Public Trustee documents are public information.

No. The customer must come into the Public Trustee office in person to obtain a foreclosure mailing list and pay a 25 cents per page photocopy fee.

  • Use the Public Trustee's Online Foreclosure Database
  • Call 311 inside Denver, or 720-865-8400 and ask to be transferred to the Public Trustee office to ask the question.

Homeowners facing foreclosure are not without resources and assistance. Please see the Help is Available information.

Call 311 inside Denver, or 720-865-8400, and ask to be transferred to the Public Trustee office.

  • No. The Public Trustee does not have the authority to determine the legitimacy of any particular foreclosure filing, nor can it be an advocate for either side. The role of the Public Trustee is to administer the legal requirements of the filing and ensure that foreclosures are handled subject to all laws and rules.
  • Homeowners are advised to seek the assistance of an attorney or a housing assistance agency for help. See our Information for Homeowners page.

The purpose of the Rule 120 Hearing is for the lender to establish the legitimacy of a foreclosure filing. The homeowner will be notified of the hearing and may dispute the legitimacy of the foreclosure based upon mistaken identity, clerical error, actual payment or other reason. Homeowners should consult an attorney.

  • Use the Public Trustee's web-based Online Foreclosure Database, or
  • Call 311 inside Denver, or 720-865-8400, and asked to be transferred to the Public Trustee office.

  • Intent to Cure forms may be obtained on the Public Trustee website, in person at the Public Trustee office or a local office supply store.
  • An Intent to Cure form must be filled out and signed and turned in to the Public Trustee. If it is signed in the presence of Public Trustee personnel, it need not be notarized. Otherwise, it must be notarized before it can be accepted by the Public Trustee.
  • Faxed Intent to Cure forms cannot be accepted.
  • There is no filing fee.

Homeowners must file at least 15 days before the current auction date of their property to be guaranteed timely receipt of payment figures. For an Intent to Cure filed after that date, the lender’s attorney is not legally obligated to provide cure payment figures. If an auction is postponed, the new date becomes the current sale date.

For the exact steps that are put into motion after an Intent to Cure is filed, see our Information for Homeowners page, under "How Do I Save My House?"

Call 311 inside Denver, or 720-865-8400, and ask to be transferred to the Public Trustee.

Once a foreclosure case has been filed with the Public Trustee, payments must go through the Public Trustee in order to close the case and keep the property from being auctioned. Because cure funds are not turned over to the lender until the lender withdraws the foreclosure, this is a protection for the homeowner.

During the course of a foreclosure action, the lender must request a District Court hearing to determine the legitimacy of the foreclosure. This hearing is called a "Rule 120" hearing.

Once the hearing is scheduled, a notice is sent out to the owner of the property in foreclosure, usually by the lender's attorney. You may choose to respond to the notice, by filing a written response with the Clerk of the Court at 1437 Bannock Street Denver, CO 80202.

If no response is filed, the motion is automatically approved and an "Order Authorizing Sale" is issued. The "Order Authorizing Sale" is a required document for the foreclosure to proceed to sale. If a response is filed, a court date will be scheduled for you to air your grievances before a judge. 

We are prohibited from answering legal questions, interpreting the law or giving legal advice. Please consider consulting an attorney. Potential resources may be found at the Denver County Court Self Help Center, the Colorado Bar Association's website or from our Help is Available flier. For Tenant/Landlord issues specifically, a possible resource is the Action Center.

  • Cures take place during a foreclosure action, avoiding sale of the property at auction. In a cure, a homeowner pays the loan up to current, curing the loan default and closing out a foreclosure case.
  • Redemptions take place after a property is sold in a foreclosure auction. In a redemption, the entire amount of a mortgage loan is paid off in full and closed out.

Foreclosure Auction FAQ

The Denver Public Trustee foreclosure auctions are held online Thursdays at 10 a.m. Register, make deposits and bid here

Bidders must register and deposit funds here to participate in the Denver Public Trustee auctions. The policies, regulations and deadlines are available on the link.

Not every house will go to auction. Some properties will be continued (postponed) week to week because of bankruptcy, a pending cure or other reason.

The amount of the lender's bid is determined by the lender and its attorney and may include late fees, unpaid interest, attorney fees, and Public Trustee fees. These factors can sometimes cause the amount of the bid to exceed the amount of the initial loan.

The Public Trustee does not research chain of title or whether a given property has liens against it. You may use a title company or search through the public records (not all liens may be found this way).

Please consult a real estate attorney to determine when it is legal to enter a home purchased at auction through the Public Trustee. The Public Trustee does not have the keys to any properties.

Lien holders are required to remit $50 for each Intent to Redeem, a copy of their lien and a list of expenses and receipts for those expenses.

Deed Release FAQ