Skip navigation

Ceremonies & Officials

Your marriage must be solemnized in a ceremony; then the marriage application and certificate must be recorded.

A marriage may be solemnized by an officiant who has been ordained or recognized by a religious denomination, a judge of a court, a retired judge, a court magistrate, a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, a Native American tribal official or a friend or relative who is ordained. Alternatively, you and your intended spouse may solemnize your own marriage. Clergy ordained out of state do not need to be registered in Colorado to perform a wedding.

The solemnizing official will complete your marriage certificate.

The marriage license and marriage certificate are two distinct instruments that appear on the single form. Please do not separate them.

The license and the certificate are on the same document. These should not be separated. The license gives the couple permission to marry. The certificate documents when and where the couple married. See these examples of how to fill out the marriage certificate.

La licencia y el certificado están en el mismo documento. Éstos no deben ser separados. La licencia da el permiso a la pareja para casarse. Los documentos indican cuando y donde la pareja se casó. Vea las instrucciones para una boda con oficiante o una de auto-solemnizacíon.

Colorado law allows couples to self solemnize or perform their own marriage (C.R.S. §14-2-109(1)). Neither witnesses nor officiant are required for a valid self solemnization.

You may choose to solemnize your marriage while in the building and return the certificate to the Clerk and Recorder immediately. The marriage certificate must be recorded no later than 63 days from the date of solemnization or late fees apply.

Proxy marriages may not be self solemnized.

Denver County Court maintains a list of judges who perform weddings during the week, on weekends, and in the evenings.

We hope this guide helps you navigate changing your name more easliy. Certified copies of the marriage certificate are helpful. They can be purchased at our office or through the mail. Certified copies cost $1.25 each.

Esperamos que esta guía le ayuda a navegar para cambiar su nombre más facil. Copias certificadas de la partida de matrimonio son útiles. Se puede comprar en nuestra oficina o por correo. El costo de cada copia certificada es $1.25.


A proxy marriage license may be granted to an absent person who is:

  • A member of the U.S. armed forces stationed in another country or in another state in support of combat or military operation; or
  • A government contractor, or an employee of a government contractor, working or in support of US military operations in another country or in another state

Requirements for applying for a marriage license for a proxy marriage are:

  • One party is a resident of Colorado;
  • One party appears in person to apply for the marriage license and pays the required fees;
  • The signatures of both parties to the proxy marriage are required, and the party present shall sign the marriage license application and provide an absentee affidavit form containing the notarized signature of the absent party, along with proper identification  documents required for a marriage license for the absent party; and
  • Both parties (and the proxy) are 18 years of age or older.

Self-solemnization is not allowed in a marriage by proxy

You must have a notarized Marriage Ceremony Proxy Power of Attorney form. The spouse who can be present and the proxy must both present a valid ID when applying for the license.

Frequently asked questions about Marriage by Proxy

Q. What documents can I use to prove Colorado residency?

A. Colorado driver’s license, lease agreement, utility bill, or a voter registration card are all acceptable forms of ID. Only one of these documents is necessary.

Q. What documents can I use to prove active duty military status and deployment?

A. Your Orders (a copy of the written document) will be proof. Still have questions? Please email: