Summer 2017 Project Update
Thank you for sharing your voice in the City Park Master Plan Update! This summer we have conducted the following outreach to inform our existing conditions assessment and identify what makes City Park special to you:
- Two Stakeholder Working Group Meetings
- Public Open House #1 – over 200 attendees
- Online Survey – 600 responses
- City Park Alliance Ice Cream Social Table
- Park visits during special events, different times of the day, and days of the week to collect survey responses, inform park visitors of the project and conduct behavioral analysis
Through this outreach, we have heard the following reoccurring themes from the City Park community:
- The tree canopy and large, open meadows are very important to the City Park experience and provides a connection to nature within the city.
- City Park’s sense of grandeur and monumentality inspires awe and respect.
- Historic structures are important to the park. This initiative should consider activating structures for park uses.
- The balance and variety of passive and active uses seems right. While the tennis courts and organized team sports in the meadow are popular, walking and running was identified as the #1 activity people do in City Park.
- City Park is a place to gather and offers a range of opportunities for formal and informal gatherings.
- Navigation and wayfinding is challenging for all park users (bicyclists, pedestrians and cars).
- Park access is difficult for both bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Infrastructure upgrades and supporting park amenities are desired to enhance the City Park user experience (e.g. playground, trail and tennis court upgrades and increased water fountains, wayfinding signs, bike parking, restrooms, etc.)
- The Zoo and Museum are important to City Park.
This fall we will wrap up our inventory and assessment of existing conditions. These findings will serve as the basis for establishing a vision and guidance for development of draft master plan recommendations. We appreciate your input and look forward to your continued support!