The mission of the Denver (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) LGBTQ Commission is to partner with the community to advance social, economic, and political equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people using its unique position within the City and County of Denver.
The Commission has the following powers and duties:
- Advise the Mayor and the Executive Director of the Agency for Human Rights & Community Partnerships on the issues and opportunities facing the LGBTQ community.
- Recommend legislation, policies, programs, procedures, or administrative actions that advance social, economic, and political equality for the LGBTQ community, and oppose those that do not.
- Support efforts to organize, educate, and mobilize the LGTBQ community through coalition building, and coordination with allied individuals, groups, and organizations.
The Commission seeks individuals who are committed to representing their community AND working collaboratively with other commissions and LGBTQ communities toward common goals.
- Either live or work within the City and County of Denver.
- Serve a 2-year term (Commissioners may serve for a total of up to 6 years or 3 terms).
- Serve without compensation – this is a volunteer Commission.
- Attend all Commission meetings: Commissioners may be considered for removal if absent for 3 or more official meetings (this is not inclusive of events).
- Participate actively on a subcommittee, including by attending monthly meetings.
- Represent the Commission at community events and engage the constituents in both problem identification and problem solving.
- Attend additional meetings and events as determined by the Commission.
- Attend the annual Commission Partnership Day.
- Attend the annual Diversity Awards Event – typically in October.
- Attend a New Commissioner Orientation.
- Participate in collaborative initiatives with other commissioners.
Interested applicants should complete the online application.
Additionally, please submit the completed questionnaire and a resume to Anthony Aragon, Senior Advisor, Community Affairs of the Agency for Human Rights & Community Partnerships at 720.913.8496 or Anthony.email@example.com.