The City and County of Denver supports and celebrates initiatives and causes that align with The City’s values. By lighting the City and County Building, we can visually demonstrate, in a unique way, the City’s support as well as promote awareness to various initiatives that impact our diverse community.
If you are interested in lighting the City and County Building a specific color to recognize a community impacting initiative, or create social/charitable awareness, please review the lighting criteria and policy below. All online nominations must be submitted a minimum of 60 days prior to the requested lighting date*.
Upon approval, you will be contacted with additional steps & details.
CITY AND COUNTY BUILDING LIGHTING CRITERIA
- Nominations must be received a minimum of 60 days in advance of the requested lighting date and will be approved on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Chosen nominations must align with the City and County of Denver values
- Nominations will be considered if the request falls within one of the following categories:
- Local Charitable nonprofit organization with 501(C )(3) status (or have local-based chapters in Denver)
- Extraordinary events/occurrences of City, State, National or International significance
- Non-profit Awareness Initiatives
- Non-profit organization milestones or significant anniversaries (in 25-year increments)
- City and County of Denver initiatives
- Lightings will not be considered for advertisement or commercial promotions; or for groups that discriminate against age, disability, race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.
CITY AND COUNTY BUILDING LIGHTING POLICY
- No more than 3 separate lightings will take place each month
- The building will not be lit for more than 15 days total each month
- Lightings dates must coincide with other activities or programing related to your awareness initiative and can be requested for the following durations*:
- One (1) Day
- Multiple days, but no more than 7 consecutive days
- Lights will be displayed at sundown through 11pm on the requested date(s)
- Approved lightings may be re-scheduled due to priority requests of the City and County of Denver
NOTE: The below lightings are designated each year by the City and County of Denver and nominations will not be accepted.
- Veteran’s Day *
- Holiday Lighting Display *
- Independence Eve & Independence Day (July 3rd -4th)
- Denver Police Department Week- in recognition of *Fallen Officers"*
*The actual lighting dates will change each year
- Open Enrollment will occur at the beginning of each year (on January 1). Please note exceptions below:
- Applicants requesting to the light the city and county building in the month of February can submit their nomination form on December 1.
- Applicants that submit their applications before the open enrollment period will be asked to resubmit on January 1 or after. Their request will only be considered once resubmitted.
- A single organization is eligible to light the City and County Building for only three (3) consecutive years on the same date. (beginning with 2017). Future lighting nominations will be accepted once one (1) off-year has occurred.