Rezoning is a public process that begins with the Denver Planning Board, and must ultimately be approved by Denver City Council. Our staff evaluates most rezoning requests against the following criteria:
- Is the rezoning consistent with completed plans?
- Does the rezoning further public health, safety and welfare?
- Are there circumstances that justify the rezoning?
- Is the rezoning consistent with the neighborhood context?
- Does the rezoning align with the zone district’s purpose and intent?
- Would it result in consistent regulations for each property with the same zoning designation citywide?
Our staff notifies surrounding registered neighborhood organizations (RNOs) about pending rezoning cases within 10 days of receiving a formal application. This allows nearby residents the opportunity to learn about and comment on the rezoning request well ahead of the Planning Board hearing.