DAS is an open-admission municipal shelter that provides animal care and control services for all of Denver County. DAS cares for more than 7,500 lost and abandoned animals each year. DAS is committed to:
- Providing humane care to companion animals.
- Reuniting lost pets with their owners.
- Adopting pets to loving homes.
- Enforcing Denvery County animal ordinances
- Proactively educating the public about animals, their needs, and DAS’s critical role as a community resource.
We believe strongly in not euthanizing animals for time and space, and only make such determinations based on severe medical or behavior for safety concerns (bite history, aggression, etc.). As such, DAS’s live release rate has risen from 67% in 2008 to an average 90% live release rate for 2013. Each year, DAS adopts out more than 2,000 animals; transfers more than 2,500 pets to other rescue partners; and returns more than 2,250 pets to their owners.
View our adoption rates and statistics or our frequently asked questions to learn more.