Recording a Civil Union

After certification of the civil union, you must return your civil union license and completed civil union certificate to the Office of the Clerk and Recorder within 63 days after the ceremony for recording.

Please do not separate the certificate from the license. You may use the return envelope given to you at the time of application or return the certificate in person.

Recording enters your civil union license and certificate into the official county records for future reference. After recording, the original form will be returned to you by mail at the return address you supplied at the time of application.

There is no fee for recording your license and certificate. However, if you return your civil union certificate for recording later than 63 days after certification, late fees will apply. Please see our Fees page.