Requirements & Procedures

How to Apply For a Civil Union License

To obtain a civil union license, both you and your intended partner must appear in person at the marriage/civil unions counter at the Office of the Clerk and Recorder, located on the first floor of the Webb Municipal Office Building, 201 W. Colfax Ave., Denver.

Save time when you come in for your license by filling in your license application online.

Hours to apply for a civil union license are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Our office is closed on municipal holidays.

Bring Identification

You and your intended partner each must present one of these currently valid forms of identification:

  • U.S. state-issued driver's license or permit
  • U.S. state-issued ID
  • U.S. military ID
  • Passport (with certified English-language translation if non-English)

Please note the name on the civil union license will appear exactly as it is on the ID you provide.

Additionally, if you have a Social Security number you are required to provide it. If either of the intended partners does not have a Social Security number (you are from another country, or are in the process of obtaining U.S. citizenship) you are not required to have one to obtain a civil union license.

Important Note: Birth certificates, baptismal certificates and Mexican Consular IDs (Matricula Consular) are not acceptable for civil union license applications.

Other Requirements

See the section at right for information on second or subsequent civil unions. 

  • Minors are prohibited from entering into civil unions. 
  • Adults who have guardians must have the notarized written permission of their guardian(s) to obtain a civil union license. A guardian permission form may be found on the Forms page. The permission form must be used within 30 days from the date it is notarized.
  • Blood tests are not required in Colorado, and there is no waiting period.
  • Applicants need not be Colorado residents.
  • $30 cash, check, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover) to pay for the license
  • The civil union license is valid for 35 days.
  • Be prepared to supply the place of birth (city and state) of each of your parents.
  • The completed civil union certificate (and attached license) must be returned to the Clerk and Recorder for recording within 63 days after certification. After that date, late fees will apply.

Note:  Civil unions legally entered into in another state are legally recognized in Colorado.

Prior Agreements

  • Are you and/or your intended partner parties to a prior designated beneficiary agreement? Entering into a Colorado civil union will automatically cancel and revoke this prior contractual relationship.
  • Are you and/or your intended partner a party to a prior Denver committed partnership? If the committed partnership is with someone other than the person you are entering into a civil union with, you must first terminate the committed partnership.

Unused Licenses Expire

Your civil union license may be used immediately upon issuance. It is valid for only 35 days after issuance. It may be used anywhere within the State of Colorado.

If the license is not used, it must be returned to the Clerk and Recorder for cancellation.

Is This a 2nd Civil Union?

If you are widowed or divorced (from marriage or civil union) and wish to apply for a new civil union license, you must provide: 

  • the name of your prior spouse or partner, and 
  • the exact date (month, day and year) and location of your spouse's/partner's death, or of your divorce.

In the case of divorce, you also must provide:

  • the location (city and state) of your divorce;
  • the type (district, superior, circuit, etc.) of court in which your divorce occurred; and
  • a certified copy of your divorce decree if it was final within 30 days preceding the date you apply for a civil union license.

See Our May 1 Photos

Photos from the May 1, 2013 midnight event inaugurating civil unions in Colorado.