Committed Partnership Registry

The City and County of Denver allows certain couples who are not married to recognize their commitment through the Committed Partnership Registry. 
The registry is open to any two partners who:

  • are unmarried, eighteen years of age or older, and competent to enter into a contract;
  • are not prohibited from marrying each other under the laws of the State of Colorado by reason of a blood relationship or by reason of adoption;
  • are sharing a common household; and
  • do not already have different partners under the provisions of the Denver Committed Partnership Ordinance, the Colorado Civil Unions Act, or any other comparable domestic partnership provision.

View the Committed Partnership requirements here.
View D.R.M.C. § 28-200, Committed Partnerships Ordinance.

How to Register

Both partners must appear together at the Office of the Clerk and Recorder and fill out a Certificate of Committed Partnership in duplicate. A sample of this form may be found on the Forms page

The certificate is filled out and attested in the presence of the Clerk, who will then sign the certificate. One completed original certificate is issued to the partnership immediately and one is retained in the official records of the Clerk and Recorder. The fee for domestic partnership certification and registry is $25.00.

Note: All certificates of committed partnerships and the Domestic Partnership Registry itself are public records. 

What Registration Does

Registration of your committed partnership creates a public record of your relationship. It provides evidence that your relationship has met the requirements for committed partnership defined by ordinance, which an employer or other party may or may not choose to recognize in offering domestic partnership benefits.

What Registration Does Not Do

Registering as committed partners does not constitute marriage under the laws of the State of Colorado nor change your legal rights with your partner. Registration does not affect your property, contract, inheritance, custody, or benefit rights nor any other legal entitlements. It does not provide for name changes. To provide for such rights domestic partners may need to execute medical and/or general powers of attorney, wills, and/or other legal instruments, just as though there were no partnership. Consult your attorney.

Designated Beneficiary Info

Find out about Designated Beneficiary Agreements here.

Terminating a Committed Partnership

A committed partnership is terminated by:

  • the marriage or death of either partner;
  • both partners filing with the Denver Clerk and Recorder a Certificate of Termination of Committed Partnership; or
  • either partner filing the termination certificate with the Clerk and Recorder and sending a copy thereof to the other partner by registered mail, return receipt requested.

Planning a Civil Union?

If you plan to enter a civil union you must terminate your committed partnership first, unless the planned civil union is with the same person with whom you are in a committed partnership.