Civil Union License FAQ

  • Clerk and Recorder’s Office, Marriage/Civil Union Licenses Counter
  • 1st Floor, Webb Municipal Office Building
  • 201 W. Colfax Ave, Dept. 101.
  • Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
  • Closed on municipal holidays.

Save time by applying for your license online, using the Clerk and Recorder’s new Online Services page. You’ll still have to come in person to pay your fee and pick up your license, but filling out your license online will make that process faster.

Fees for civil union licenses or copies are available on our Fees page

You may pay by cash, check or credit card (Visa, Mastercard and Discover). Checks should be made out  to Manager of Finance.

Information about civil union requirements and valid forms of identification can be found on our Requirements & Procedures page.

No. Only if that friend or person is recognized as an ordained minister or public official whose powers include certification of civil unions. More information may be found on our Ceremonies & Officials page.
You must be 18 years of age or older to enter into a civil union in Colorado.
  • Civil union where one or both parties are minors.
  • Civil union prior to the dissolution of an earlier marriage or civil union of either of the intended partners, except for an earlier marriage or civil union that is a currently valid between the intended partners.
  • Civil union between an ancestor and descendant, brother and sister, uncle and niece, or aunt and nephew, whether the relationship is by half or whole blood.

Note: Civil union between first cousins, whether by half or whole blood, is permitted in Colorado.

The civil union license is valid for 35 days after issuance. It may be used anywhere within Colorado and is valid only in Colorado. It must be returned to the county where issued for recording within 63 days of the certification ceremony, or late fees will apply. See more information on our Requirements & Procedures page, and on our Recording a Civil Union page.

Find information on civil union by proxy on our Ceremonies & Officials page. Find the Power of Attorney for Civil Union Ceremony form on our Forms page.

You can sign you name as it appears on your identification or you can sign with your partner's name on the Party One and Party Two lines of the certificate.

Self-certifying couples, who perform their self-certification in the Clerk and Recorder Office, should sign their current names on the certificate on the official title line as well as, Party 1 and Party 2 lines.

You also have the option to sign on Party 1 and Party 2 line with your partner's last name. It is not a requirement to sign with your partner's last name.

Please note: Name changes are not made by the Clerk and Recorder Office. You are responsible for making name changes through Social Security, motor vehicle, etc. 

Civil unions legally entered into in another state are legally valid and recognized in Colorado. (C.R.S. 14-15-116(2))

Same sex couples who legally married in another state and then moved to Colorado are legally recognized as being in a civil union in Colorado. (C.R.S. 14-15-116(1))

You can search for your Denver license on our new online records search system. If you need additional help finding your marriage record, contact our Records Department by calling 311 (720-913-1311 outside Denver boundaries), by email at, or by mail to Records Department, Office of the Clerk and Recorder, 201 W. Colfax Ave., Dept. 101, Denver, CO 80202.

Email your questions to, or call 311 within Denver (720-865-8400 outside Denver).

Designated Beneficiary FAQ

For detail on Designated Beneficiary Agreements and how to execute them, see our Designated Beneficiary Agreements page.

For information on revoking a Designated Beneficiary Agreement, see our Designated Beneficiary Agreements page.

Entering into a marriage or a civil union will supersede and automatically revoke a prior designated beneficiary agreement of either party.

Domestic Partnership FAQ

Unless your registered domestic partnership and your civil union are with the same person, you must terminate the domestic partnership prior to entering into civil union.