Marriage License FAQ

  • Clerk and Recorder’s office, Marriage License Counter
  • 1st Floor, Webb Municipal Office Building
  • 201 W. Colfax Ave, Dept. 101.
  • Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
  • Closed on municipal holidays.

Save time by applying for your license online, using the Clerk and Recorder’s new Online Services page. You’ll still have to come in person to pay your fee and pick up your license, but filling out your license online will make that process faster.

Fees for marriage licenses or copies are available on our Fees page. 

You may pay by cash, check or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover). Checks should be made out  to Manager of Finance.

Information about marriage license requirements and valid forms of identification can be found on our Requirements & Procedures page.

No. Only if that friend or person is recognized as an ordained minister or public official whose powers include marriage. More information may be found on our Ceremonies & Officials page.

  • You must be 18 years of age or older to marry in Colorado, or
  • You may marry at the age of 16 or 17 with the consent of both parents or of your legal guardian, or
  • You may marry at the age of 15 or under with the consent of both parents or of your legal guardian and with court approval.
    For more information on the marriage of minors, see our Marriage of Minors page.
  • Same-sex marriage.
  • Marriage prior to the dissolution of an earlier marriage of either of the intended spouses, except for an earlier marriage that is a currently valid marriage between the intended spouses.
  • Marriage between an ancestor and descendant, brother and sister, uncle and niece, or aunt and nephew, whether the relationship is by half or whole blood.

Note: Marriage between first cousins, whether by half or whole blood, is permitted in Colorado.

The marriage license is valid for 35 days after issuance. It may be used anywhere in Colorado and is valid only in Colorado. It must be returned to the county where issued for recording within 63 days of the wedding. See more on our Requirements & Procedures page, and on our Recording a Marriage page.

Find information on marriage by proxy on our Ceremonies & Officials page. Find the Power of Attorney for Marriage Ceremony form on our Forms page.

You can sign your name as it appears on your identification or you can sign with your spouse's name that you are taking on the bride and groom lines of the certificate.

Self-solemnizing couples, who perform their self-solemnization in the Clerk and Recorder Office, should sign their current name on the certificate on the official title line as well as, bride and groom lines. You also have the option to sign on the bride line and groom line in your spouse's last name, if you choose to. It  is not a requirement to do so. 

Please note: Name changes are not made by the Clerk and Recorder Office. You are responsible for making name changes through Social Security, motor vehicle, etc. 

If the marriage license was obtained in Denver County after 1903, a copy is available from the Denver Clerk and Recorder. Anything prior to 1903 must be researched with the Colorado State Archives.

You can search for your Denver license on our new online records search system. If you need additional help finding your marriage record, contact our Records Department by calling 311 (720-913-1311 outside Denver boundaries), by email at, or by mail to Records Department, Office of the Clerk and Recorder, 201 W. Colfax Ave., Dept. 101, Denver, CO 80202.

Email your questions to, or call 311 within Denver (720-865-8400 outside Denver).