Demolition of residential and commercial structures that are 120 square feet or greater require a permit review process including review, permits and inspections. Demolition of a structure less than 120 square feet does not require a review, permits or inspections with the City.  

Landmark Preservation reviews all applications for total demolition to determine if the structures have potential for historical signficance.

The Total Demolition Guide (PDF) contains the step-by-step procedures for total demolition of residential and commercial structures, submittal checklist, and required applications.  

If your property is located within a historic district or designated as a landmark structure, additional steps may apply.  Use the DevelopDENVER tool to the right to determine the landmark status.  Contact the Landmark Preservation staff at 720-865-2709 or email to learn more.


Partial Demolition (demolition preparing for construction)

If you are demolishing a portion of  your structure such as the removal of walls or sections of the roof in preparation for additions or remodeling projects, that demolition is to be included in the scope of work of construction permits.  The following permit/reviews are required:

  • #1C permit - (commercial projects only)
  • #1R permit - (residential projects only)


Help Me Get Started . . .

Before you start your project, you need to know what regulations apply to your property and what factors may impact your project. You'll need to consider:


If your property is designated a landmark structure or is located in a historic district, certain requirements may apply.  Use the DevelopDENVER tool to determine the landmark status for your property.


Zoning establishes standards for things like the size and location of structures and acceptable uses for your property. Before you begin construction, you need to be sure your project is in compliance with Denver's Zoning Ordinance. Use the DevelopDENVER tool to determine the zoning for your property. Once you've found how your property is zoned, you should look up your zone district in the Denver Zoning Code to see what that means for you.

Denver Forestry

If any portion of your project has the potential to impact the trunk, canopy or roots of the street trees around your property you must first contact  Denver Forestry  by email or by phone at 720-913-0651  to evaluate your project.  Any removal, trimming or planting of trees within the public right of way must be permitted through the City Forester’s Office.  Damages to street trees may result in the issuance of administrative citations and/or fines.  Visit the Denver Forestry web page for additional information.

Building Code

Denver Building Code provides minimum standards for building in order to safeguard public safety, health and welfare.

Location of Utilities

When designing your project, you need to know where utilities are located. You cannot build over existing utilities. Contact the Utility Notification Center of Colorado to mark underground utilities for your project. Call 1-800-922-1987 or 811 before you dig.  


Location of Existing Sewer Lines

A plumbing contractor can help you locate the sewer lines on your property. If you plan to build a new structure over or within 2 feet of the existing sanitary sewer, you will need to replace the sanitary sewer with approved materials. Contact the Department of Public Works at 303-446-3759 for more details.

  • Landmark Preservation - required for all applications within the County of Denver
  • #1D Permit for Demolition  
  • Construction Activities Storm Water Discharge Permit (CASDP Permit/Inspection) - formerly Erosion Control Permit - if site is over 1 acre, part of a larger development or in a floodplain
  • Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP) - required if site is in a floodplain
  • Separate Right-of-Way (ROW) Permit - required prior to the use, occupancy, or closure of any portion of the ROW due to the demolition work.
  • Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment - Certification of no asbestos present in building, or issuance of permit for and completion of hazardous material abatement
  • Denver Water - For verification of suspension of water service prior to demolition
  • Wastewater Management - based upon the cut-off inspection
  • Xcel Energy - For verification of suspension of electricity and natural gas prior to demolition 
  • Denver Forestry Permit  - obtain from Denver Forestry


  • #1D Building Permit (PDF)
  • Neighborhood Notification Letter
  • Demolition Affidavit (PDF)
  • Copy of Assessor's Records for subject property - to verify the property ownership and obtain legal description for research purposes
  • Site Plan - including property lines and location of all structures
  • Application made to Landmark Review -  4" x 6" color photos showing all elevations of all structures to be demolished - including accessory structures such as barns, silos, etc.  Place structure's address on all photos. 
  • Report detailing the protection of adjacent property. Provide plot plan locating foot print of the building and distance to the property lines to the street and alley in relation to footprint.  Include location of adjacent buildings and distances to common property lines  - required when proposed removal of existing foundation is less than 5 feet from the adjacent property lines.
  • State Approval Form showing approval provided by Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
  • Proof of liability insurance (IBCA 126.4)
    The minimum amount of insurance coverage shall be:
    • $500,000 for Building Class A and Demolition Class A contractors
    • $300,000 for Building Class B, Building Class C, Demolition Class B, and Moving contractors
    • $300,000 for homeowners 
  • Authorized signatures from the following:
    • City Forestry
    • Wastewater Management Division - that the sewer line has been cut
    • Denver Water - that the water line has been cut
    • Construction Engineering - required when occupying the public Right-Of-Way
  • CASDP Permit - required if site is over 1 acre, part of a larger development or in a floodplain.  Detailed submittal information is located at Wastewater Erosion Control.   


If you are performing a partial demolition, your project will require the following:

Estimate Fees

Building permit fees are based on valuation of the work to be completed including the labor and materials.    

Right-of-way permit fees are based on the amount of work constructed and the amount of time they are occupying the right-of-way.   

Wastewater Management:

  • Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP) $100.00 application fee for a Floodplain Permit
  • Construction Activities Stormwater Discharge Permit (CASDP) $100.00 application fee plus a permit fee of $200.00 plus $25.00 per acre. 

NOTE: The fees change yearly.

City Forestry fees are $65.00

There are no fees for Landmark review.

Pay Fees

Fees can be paid in person at our office on the 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb Building or by mail:
Development Services
Wellington Webb Municipal Building
201 W. Colfax Ave., 2nd Floor
Denver, Colorado 80202
We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover Card, cash and personal checks at our counter.

For Landmark Approval:

Submit directly to Landmarks Preservation, the photos showing all views of all structures to be demolished and a copy of the assessor's record,  with the other documents required by Development Services.   


For  #1D Permit:

Bring proof of all approvals and completed documents to Permit Services Counter.  #1D Permit is issued after all required signatures are obtained from agencies and written evidence of neighborhood notification is submitted.


Adjacent Property Owner Notification:

Where the project requires any type of demolition or excavation, builder must verify notification of all adjacent property owners by providing the City either the return receipt of certified mail delivery, or the signed receipt of personal notification.

Please note that  a permit will not be issued until 10 working days has passed since the adjacent property owner notification was made.


For Wastewater Management:

The licensed plumbing or sewer contractor must call PWPO at 303-446-3759 to schedule an inspection of the cut-off of the sanitary sewer. 

If site is over 1 acre, part of a larger development OR in a floodplain, a CASDP must be obtained. CASDP application & initial submittal may be made electronically or in person to the counter.     

Plan review for a Floodplain Permit- application & submittal may be made electronically or in person to the counter.


For Right-of-Way: 

Contact Public Works Construction Engineering at (303) 446-3469 to obtain the required ROW permits. 


For Denver Forester:

Contact Denver Forestry by email or by phone at 720-913-0651 to obtain demolition form and schedule an inspection.

Building Inspection to determine the following:

  • Necessary cut offs have happened
  • What kinds of safety measures are needed (e.g., whether a fence or watchman or both, and whether they need to supply water spray to contain dust during demolition)


Wastewater Inspection to approve the cut-off

Pre-construction meeting for sites requiring a CASDP and ongoing inspections throughout the project up to stabilization.

  • The licensed plumbing or sewer contractor must call Public Works (PWPO) at (303) 446-3759 to schedule an inspection of the cut-off of the sanitary sewer
  • Final Inspection
  • Denver Forestry


What you need to know for your project!

Enter your property address or street intersection:
View property details including zoning, landmark status, inspector districts and more.