Project Guide For Sewer Line Repair

This guide is intended to provide you an overview of the permitting process for repair of sewer lines. A licensed plumbing or sewer contractor must complete any sewer line repair work and call for the inspection.

Help Me Get Started . . .

Before you start your project, you need to know what regulations apply to your property and what factors may impact your project. You'll need to consider:


Location of Utilities

When designing your project, you need to know where utilities are located. You cannot build over existing utilities. Contact the Utility Notification Center of Colorado to mark underground utilities for your project. Call 1-800-922-1987 or 811 before you dig.


Location of Existing Sewer Lines

A plumbing contractor can help you locate the sewer lines on your property. If you plan to build a new structure over or within 2 feet of the existing sanitary sewer, you will need to replace the sanitary sewer with approved materials. Contact the Department of Public Works at 303-446-3759 for more details.

  • Repair Permit - required for all repair work done in the same trench without re-routing
  • Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP) - required if repair work needs to be re-routed or if new connections need to be added
  • Street Occupancy Permit - required if sewer repair lines are located in the street or alley or all proposed work within the ROW 

For Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP):

For residential application, guidelines and other specific information, see the following:

Sewer Use and Drainage Permits (SUDP)

For Street Occupancy Permit:

Repair Permit - $55.00 per inspection

Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit - $100.00 application fee plus appropriate fees.  

Street Occupancy Permit - fees based on linear feet and square feet.  There is a minimum fee of $50.00.

View the permit fee schedules to estimate the fees required for your project.

Pay Fees

Fees can be paid in person at our office on the 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb Building or by mail:
Development Services
Wellington Webb Municipal Building
201 W. Colfax Ave., 2nd Floor
Denver, Colorado 80202
We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover Card, cash and personal checks at our counter.

For Repair Permit:

A licensed sewer or plumbing professional must call Public Works at 303-446-3759 to obtain the repair permit and schedule the inspection.  The permit will be issued and the inspection will be scheduled.


For Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP):

Plan Review -  All documents can be submitted in person or online through the ePlan.

Once review has been completed and all documents approved, permits will be issued.


For Street Occupancy Permit:

Contact Public Works Right of Way Services.

All approved construction set of documents, permits and inspector signature card are to be available on site upon request.


A Waste Water inspector will complete the inspection. The sewer lines need to be exposed for the inspection. 

Home Projects

Every project is different.  Depending upon the complexity of your project, the permit requirements and inspection process may vary from the information presented in this guide.  If you have any questions, please contact us.