Project Guide For Sidewalks

This guide is intended to provide you an overview of the permitting process for construction of sidewalks.

Help Me Get Started . . .

Before you start your project, you need to know what regulations apply to your property and what factors may impact your project. You'll need to consider:

Historic Landmark Status

Any project that involves changes to the exterior of landmark structures or properties in historic landmark districts must be reviewed by Landmark Preservation staff before you begin. The appropriate zoning, building, curb cut, or revocable permits needed for the project will be issued only after design review has been completed and the project has been approved. To determine your property’s landmark status, use the DevelopDENVER tool to the right. Then, visit the Design Review web page for more information.



Certain parkways and boulevards are specifically designated by ordinance to preserve their unique character. Each designated parkway has its own right-of-way width and regulations of setback distance of structures and signs. If you are unsure if you live along a designated parkway or for your parkway’s specific regulations, enter your address into the DevelopDENVER tool at right. Look under “Designated Parkways” on the results panel on the left. If a specific parkway appears, click on the “Details” button for information on setbacks.

Denver Forestry

If any portion of your project has the potential to affect the trunk, canopy or roots of the street trees around your property, before you begin, you must contact Denver Forestry by email ( or phone (720-913-0651) to evaluate your project.  Any removal, trimming or planting of trees within the public right of way must be permitted through the City Forester’s Office.  Damages to street trees may result in the issuance of administrative citations and/or fines.  Visit the Denver Forestry web page and click on Property Owner Resources for information on hiring a licensed tree service company or requesting a permit.


Transportation review and approval is needed if you are changing the location of any driveways that connect to public streets or proposing improvements, such as changing the curb cut, within the “right of way” (ROW), which includes public streets and sidewalks. All ROW projects must be performed by a licensed contractor and in full compliance with the City Charter, ordinances, permitting processes and all other applicable standards, specifications and requirements. Licensed contractors can obtain ROW permits at Public Works Permit Operations, 2000 West 3rd Avenue, or directly from the ROW inspector at (303) 446-3469. NOTE: Alterations to a driveway that connects to an alley, instead of a public street or sidewalk, do not require transportation review..


Location of Utilities

When designing your project, you need to know where utilities are located. You cannot build over existing utilities. Before you dig, contact the Utility Notification Center of Colorado at 1-800-922-1987 or 811 to mark underground utilities for your project.

  • Landmark Certificate of Appropriateness - required if location is within a Landmark District or if you live in a designated landmark structure
  • Revocable Street Occupancy Permit - required for all proposed work within the ROW
  • Right-of-Way (ROW) Construction Permit - required for all proposed work within the ROW
  • Transportation Review - required for all proposed work within the ROW
  • Parkway Review - required if construction occurs in a parkway setback
  • Denver Forestry Review - required if your project will impact the canopy or roots of street trees.
  • Wastewater Sewer Usage and Drainage Permit (SUDP) - required if there is storm drainage (sidewalk chase). 

For Landmark Certificate of Appropriateness:

If your property is historically designated or located in a historic district, you will need a design review of your project to obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness.  Visit the Design Review web page for more information.

For Right-of-Way (ROW)

  • Revocable Street Occupancy Permit Form 
  • ROW Construction Permit (PDF)
  • Soils Compaction Test 
    Depending on the location of the property and the scope of your project, you may be required to provide a soils compaction test from an engineering professional. For more information, talk with a District Inspector
  • Traffic Control Plan - may be required if you are located on a collector or arterial street  

For Sewer Usage and Drainage Permit (SUDP): 

Utility Site Plan that includes the following:

  • Location of structures in reference to property lines
  • Sewer locations
  • Pipe sizes
  • 2-way cleanouts
  • Material for all existing and proposed structures from point of connection to the structure to the main
  • Water line locations with sizes
  • All existing and proposed underground and storm water/sewage drainage.

Wastewater does require sewer replacement with approved material for any structure being built over or within 2' of the existing sewer line.

Wastewater does require that historic storm drainage be maintained and not directed to adjacent properties or across public sidewalks.

If property is in a floodplain, additional submittal requirements apply.

For application, guidelines and other specific information, see the following:

Sewer Use and Drainage Permits (SUDP)

Estimate Fees

Revocable Street Occupancy Permit Fees are based on the type of closure.

Right-of-Way (ROW) Construction Permit fees are based on lineal feet.

See permit fee schedules under Public Works for more information.


There are no fees for Landmark or Parkways review.

Pay Fees

Fees can be paid in person at our office on the 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb Building or by mail:
Development Services
Wellington Webb Municipal Building
201 W. Colfax Ave., 2nd Floor
Denver, Colorado 80202
We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover Card, cash and personal checks at our counter.

For Landmark Approval:

Submit a design review application to Landmark Preservation.  The approval typically takes one to three weeks.  More complex projects or projects requiring Landmark Preservation Commission or Lower Downtown Design Review Board approval will take longer.

NOTE:  Obtain Landmark approval first before proceeding with other permits.


For Parkways Review:

Plan Review - If Parkways review is required, submit all construction documents at the Permit Service Counter for review by City staff. Once review has been completed and all documents approved, permits will be issued. The review process can take up to 30 days depending upon the complexity of your project.


For Right-of-Way (ROW) Permits:

ROW improvements must be performed by a licensed contractor. The contractor can obtain the ROW permits at Public Works Permit Operations at 2000 W. 3rd or directly from the ROW inspector at 303-446-3469. The approval typically takes 5 days.


For Denver Forestry:

Contact Denver Forestry by email or by phone at 720-913-0651 if project will impact the canopy or roots of street trees.  Allow about 3 to 5 business working days for inspections and approval.

All approved construction set of documents, permits and inspector signature card are to be available on site upon request.

Typical inspections for construction of sidewalks include the following:

  • Construction Engineering will inspect work performed in the ROW and determine if ROW infrastructure was damaged during construction.
  • Denver Forestry


NOTE:  The inspections listed above may vary depending on the complexity of your project.

Home Projects

Every project is different.  Depending upon the complexity of your project, the permit requirements and inspection process may vary from the information presented in this guide.  If you have any questions, please contact us.


What you need to know for your project!

Enter your property address or street intersection:
View property details including zoning, landmark status, inspector districts and more.