Project Guide For Storm Sewer Work

The guide is intended to provide you an overview of the permitting process for storm sewer work.

Storm sewer work includes the following:

  • Any buried directional pipe
  • Sidewalk chases
  • Dry wells
  • Any other device that concentrates the direction and flow of storm water

Help Me Get Started . . .

Before you start your project, you need to know what regulations apply to your property and what factors may impact your project. You'll need to consider:


Certain parkways and boulevards are specifically designated by ordinance to preserve their unique character. Each designated parkway has its own right-of-way width and regulations of setback distance of structures and signs. If you are unsure if you live along a designated parkway, use the DevelopDENVER tool to the right to determine your status.

Denver Forestry

If any portion of your project has the potential to impact the trunk, canopy or roots of the street trees around your property you must first contact  Denver Forestry  by email or by phone at 720-913-0651  to evaluate your project.  Any removal, trimming or planting of trees within the public right of way must be permitted through the City Forester’s Office.  Damages to street trees may result in the issuance of administrative citations and/or fines.  Visit the Denver Forestry web page for additional information.

Location of Existing Sewer Lines

A plumbing contractor can help you locate the sewer lines on your property. If you plan to build a new structure over or within 2 feet of the existing sanitary sewer, you will need to replace the sanitary sewer with approved materials. Contact the Department of Public Works at 303-446-3759 for more details.


Transportation review and approval is needed whenever you are proposing any improvements within the Right-of-Way (ROW) such as changing the curb cut.  All projects performed in the City Right-of-Way must be performed in full compliance with the City Charter, Ordinances, permitting processes and all other applicable standards, specifications and requirements of the City and County of Denver.

  • Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP)
  • Parkways Approval if construction occurs in a parkway setback
  • Denver Forestry Approval if project will impact the canopy or roots of street trees
  • Right-of-Way (ROW) Construction Permits
    ROW Construction Permits are required for all work located in the ROW.   ROW improvements must be performed by a licensed contractor. 

For Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP):

 Utility Site Plan that includes the following:

  • Location of structures in reference to property lines
  • Sewer locations
  • Pipe sizes
  • 2-way cleanouts
  •  Material for all existing and proposed structures from point of connection to the structure to the main
  • Water line locations with sizes
  • All existing and proposed underground and storm water/sewage drainage.

For application, guidelines and other specific information, see the following:

Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permits

Transportation Engineering:

  • If significant improvements are being proposed within the ROW than a Transportation Engineering Plan may be required.



For Right-of-Way Permit:

  • Licensed contractor can obtain the ROW permits at Public Works Permit Operations at 2000 West 3rd Avenue or directly from the ROW inspector at (303) 446-3469.



Estimate Fees

For Wastewater, there is a $100 application fee plus appropriate fees.  The fees change yearly.

There are no fees for Parkways review.

ROW permit fees are based on the amount of work constructed and the amount of time they are occupying the ROW. 

View the Permit Fee List  to estimate the fees required for your project.

Pay Fees

Fees can be paid in person at our office on the 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb Building or by mail:
Development Services
Wellington Webb Municipal Building
201 W. Colfax Ave., 2nd Floor
Denver, Colorado 80202
We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover Card, cash and personal checks at our counter.

For Parkways Review:

Plan Review - If Parkways review is required, submit all construction documents at the Permit Service Counter for review by City staff. Once review has been completed and all documents approved, permits will be issued. The review process can take up to 30 days depending upon the complexity of your project.

For Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP):

Plan Review - Submit your plans in person or use e-Plan to submit your plans electronically for review by City staff. Once review has been completed and all documents approved, permits will be issued.



The contractor can obtain the ROW permits at Public Works Permit Operations, 2000 West 3rd Avenue or directly from the ROW inspector at (303) 446-3469.


For Denver Forestry:

Contact Denver Forestry by email or by phone at 720-913-0651 if project will impact the canopy or roots of street trees.  Allow about 3 to 5 business working days for inspections and approval.

All approved construction set of documents, permits and inspector signature card are to be available on site upon request.


Typical inspections during construction of storm sewer work include the following: 

  • If property is located in a floodplain, floodplain inspection
  • ROW - Construction Engineering will inspect work performed in the ROW to see if ROW infrastructure was damaged during construction.
  • Wastewater inspection for replacement of sewer lines
    • Permit indicates sewer replacement when structure is over the sewer line or within 2 feet of the existing sewer line.
    • You may need to contact a plumbing or sewer contractor to determine if structure is over the sewer line.  The City only has location of the main lines, not the location of the sewer on private property.
    • Storm sewer work requires an inspection.  All work must be done by a properly licensed plumbing or sewer contractor.
    • Only a licensed contractor can call for the inspection.
  • Denver Forestry



NOTE:  The inspections listed above may vary depending on the complexity of your project. 

  • Be advised that a ROW inspector may require the replacement of any damaged infrastructure (i.e. sidewalk and curb and gutter) in the ROW adjacent to your site per Section 49-551.1 of the Denver Municipal Code which states that the property owner or lessee of any real property is responsible for the continuing care, maintenance, repair, and replacement of all improvements installed in the public ROW between the property line and the curb line adjoining their property.  Please take care not to damage the ROW infrastructure during the construction.

Home Projects

Every project is different.  Depending upon the complexity of your project, the permit requirements and inspection process may vary from the information presented in this guide.  If you have any questions, please contact us.


What you need to know for your project!

Enter your property address or street intersection:
View property details including zoning, landmark status, inspector districts and more.