Project Guide for Garages (Attached and Detached)

This guide is intended to provide you an overview of the permitting process for attached and detached garages. 

Help Me Get Started . . .

Before you start your project, you need to know what regulations apply to your property and what factors may impact your project. You'll need to consider:

Historic Landmark Status

Any project that involves changes to the exterior of landmark structures or properties in historic landmark districts must be reviewed by Landmark Preservation staff before you begin. The appropriate zoning, building, curb cut, or revocable permits needed for the project will be issued only after design review has been completed and the project has been approved. To determine your property’s landmark status, use the DevelopDENVER tool to the right. Then, visit the design review web page for more information.



Zoning establishes standards for things such as the size and location of structures and acceptable uses for your property. Before you begin construction, you need to be sure your project is in compliance with the Denver Zoning Code. Use the DevelopDENVER tool to the right to determine the zoning for your property. In the results, click on your zone district for descriptions and definitions; then, click on your neighborhood context for more information on zoning in your area.


Any project that encroaches on a designated parkway setback will need to undergo parkways review. Certain parkways and boulevards are specifically designated by ordinance to preserve their unique character. Each designated parkway has its own right-of-way width and regulations of setback distance of structures and signs. If you are unsure if you live along a designated parkway or for your parkway’s specific regulations, enter your address into the DevelopDENVER tool at right. Look under “Designated Parkways” on the results panel on the left. If a specific parkway appears, click on the “Details” button for information on setbacks.

Denver Forestry

If any portion of your project has the potential to affect the trunk, canopy or roots of the street trees around your property, before you begin, you must contact Denver Forestry by email ( or phone (720-913-0651) to evaluate your project.  Any removal, trimming or planting of trees within the public right of way must be permitted through the City Forester’s Office.  Damages to street trees may result in the issuance of administrative citations and/or fines.  Visit the Denver Forestry web page and click on Property Owner Resources for information on hiring a licensed tree service company or requesting a permit.

Building Code

Denver Building Code provides minimum standards for building in order to safeguard public safety, health and welfare. The permitting and inspection process ensures that all home projects meet these standards and that all dwellings are safe and habitable at the time of construction.

Location of Utilities

When designing your project, you need to know where utilities are located. You cannot build over existing utilities. Before you dig, contact the Utility Notification Center of Colorado at 1-800-922-1987 or 811 to mark underground utilities for your project.


Location of Existing Sewer Lines

If you plan to build a new structure over or within 2 feet of the existing sanitary sewer, you will need to replace the sanitary sewer with approved materials. A plumbing contractor can help you locate the sewer lines on your property. Visit Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP) for application, guidelines and other specific information. Contact the Department of Public Works at 303-446-3759 for additional details.


Transportation review and approval is needed if you are changing the location of any driveways that connect to public streets or proposing improvements, such as changing the curb cut, within the “right of way” (ROW), which includes public streets and sidewalks. All ROW projects must be performed by a licensed contractor and in full compliance with the City Charter, ordinances, permitting processes and all other applicable standards, specifications and requirements. Licensed contractors can obtain ROW permits at Public Works Permit Operations, 2000 West 3rd Avenue, or directly from the ROW inspector at (303) 446-3469. NOTE: Alterations to a driveway that connects to an alley, instead of a public street or sidewalk, do not require transportation review.

  • Landmark Certificate of Appropriateness - required if location is within a Landmark district or if you live in a designated landmark structure
  • Zoning Permit
  • #1R Construction Permit
  • #11 Forced-Air Furnaces, Ventilation and Air Conditioning and Gas Piping Permit
  • #4 Plumbing Permit
  • #3 Electrical Permit
  • #2 Roofing Permit
  • Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP)
  • Street Occupancy and Street Cut Permit (Transportation approval prior to curb cut) See Project Guide for Driveways for more information. Transportation review is not required when the driveway connects to the alley instead of the street.
  • Parkways review - required if construction occurs in a parkway setback
  • Denver Forestry Approval - required if project will impact the canopy or roots of street trees
  • Right-of-Way (ROW) Permits - required for all proposed work within the ROW

    For Landmark Certificate of Appropriateness:

    If your property is historically designated or located in a historic district, you will need a design review of your project to obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness.  Visit the Design Review web page for more information.


    For Zoning Permit: 

    A scaled or fully dimensioned Site Plan showing the following:

    • Address
    • Location of all existing buildings (shed, garage, carport, patio, etc.)
    • Location of proposed project
    • Location and size of footprint of all existing and proposed structures in relation to property lines on the lot
    • Property lines and relation to streets and alleys
    • Elevations - depending upon scope of work
    • Primary street setbacks of adjacent properties if proposed project is to be located on the front side of the property
    • Base Plane Information:  Original grade spot elevations at intersection of side property lines at front setback  and spot grade elevations at rear corners of property if within 2 feet of bulk plane and / or height.

    Simple Project - One story, more than 5' away from property lines - only need site plan

    Medium Project - Exactly 5' from property line and height within 2 ' of the bulk plane - need Site Plan and Elevation Plans with base plane information for height and bulk

    High Project - Less than 5' to property line and/or the peak is perpendicular to the side property line - need the following:

      • Site Plan with base plane information for height and bulk
      • Elevation plans with base plane information for height and bulk


    For Transportation:

    Include on the Site Plan:

    • Existing and proposed driveways including dimensions and material used for the driveway (Required by Transportation if there is a proposed driveway)
    • Proposed improvements in the Right-of-Way Survey (Required by Transportation if there are proposed improvements in the Right-of-Way)


    For Building Permits:

    • Floor plan with dimensions of each room
    • Foundation Plan including details on construction of the piers
      NOTE:  A 36 inch foundation is required for an attached garage.
    • Survey - required if construction is within 3 feet of the property line
    • Framing Plan  including size and spacing of post and beams
    • Roof framing
      NOTE:  If you are using roof trusses, keep the truss manufacturing specification on site for access by the building inspector. 
      NOTE:  If you are using dimensional lumber, provide the span, size, and spacing of the lumber.
    •   #11 Forced-Air Furnaces, Ventilation and Air Conditioning and Gas Piping Permit (PDF)(Mechanical Permit)
    • #4 Plumbing Permit (PDF)
    • #3 Electrical Permit (PDF)
    • #2 Roofing Permit (PDF) 
    • #1R Construction Permit  - completed by Development Services staff
    • Notification Letter

    NOTE:  An Improvement Location Certificate can be used in place of a site plan in most cases.


    For Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP): 

    • Utility Site Plan that includes the following:
      • Location of structures in reference to property lines
      • Sewer locations
      • Pipe sizes
      • 2-way cleanouts
      • Material for all existing and proposed structures from point of connection to the structure to the main
      • Water line locations with sizes
      • All existing and proposed underground and storm water/sewage drainage.

    Wastewater does require sewer replacement with approved material for any structure being built over or within 2' of the existing sewer line.

    Wastewater does require that historic storm drainage be maintained and not directed to adjacent properties or across public sidewalks.

    If property is in a floodplain, additional submittal requirements apply.

    For application, guidelines and other specific information, see the following:

    Sewer Use and Drainage Permits (SUDP)

    For Street Occupancy and Street Cut Permit: 

    Traffic Control Plan (TCP) - obtained from Public Works



    For Right-of-Way Permit:

    • ROW improvements must be performed by a licensed contractor
    • Licensed contractor can obtain the ROW permits at Public Works Permit Operations at 2000 West 3rd Avenue or directly from the ROW inspector at (303) 446-3469. 


    For a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project:

    • Homeowners Exam for specific trade if completing the work yourself 
      (See DIY Projects for requirements and more information.
    • Identification (i.e. Driver's License)

    Estimate Fees

    Zoning and Building permit fees are based on valuation of the work to be completed including the labor and materials. 

    NOTE:  When a Same Day Review is required for the #1R Permit, a  "walk through" submittal fee of 20% of the valuation of the work to be completed with a $100.00 minimum will be charged in addition to building permit fees.


    For Wastewater, there is a $100 application fee plus appropriate fees.  The fees change yearly.


    Street Occupancy and Street Cut fees are based on the linear footage being occupied, square footage for cut and street location/ type.


    ROW permit fees are based on the amount of work constructed and the amount of time they are occupying the ROW.   

    There are no fees for Transportation, Parkways or Landmark review.


    View the permit fee schedules to estimate the fees required for your project.

    Pay Fees

    Fees can be paid in person at our office on the 2nd floor of the Wellington Webb Building or by mail:
    Development Services
    Wellington Webb Municipal Building
    201 W. Colfax Ave., 2nd Floor
    Denver, Colorado 80202
    We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover Card, cash and personal checks at our counter

    For Landmark Approval:

    Submit a design review application to Landmark Preservation.  The approval typically takes one to three weeks.  .  More complex projects or projects requiring Landmark Preservation Commission or Lower Downtown Design Review Board approval will take longer.

    NOTE:  Obtain Landmark approval first before proceeding with other permits.


    For Zoning and Building Permits:

    Plan Review -

    Submit all construction documents at the Permit Service Counter for review by City staff. Once review has been completed and all documents approved, permits will be issued.


    Neighborhood Notification

    Where the project requires any type of demolition or excavation, builder must verify notification of all adjacent property owners by providing the City either the return receipt of certified mail delivery, or the signed receipt of personal notification.

    Please note that  a permit will not be issued until 10 working days has passed since the adjacent property owner notification was made.


    For Parkways Approval:

    Plan Review - If Parkways review is required, submit all construction documents at the Permit Service Counter for review by City staff. Once review has been completed and all documents approved, permits will be issued. The review process can take up to 30 days depending upon the complexity of your project.


    For Transportation Approval:

    Same Day Review - Present Transportation documents with construction documents at the Permit Service Counter for review by City staff.  Once review has been completed and all documents approved, permits will be issued. 


    For Wastewater Sewer Use and Drainage Permit (SUDP):

    Same Day Review if addition does not change use (e.g., Single Family Residence to Duplex)

    Plan Review  for all change of use and / or work in a floodplain.

    Submit your plans in person or use e-Plan to submit your plans electronically for review by City staff. Once review has been completed and all documents approved, permits will be issued.


    For Right-of-Way Permits:

    The contractor can obtain the ROW permits at Public Works Permit Operations at 2000 W. 3rd or directly from the ROW inspector at 303-446-3469. 


    For Forestry:

    Contact Denver Forestry if project will impact the canopy or roots of street trees.  Allow about 3 to 5 working days for inspection and approval.

    Approved construction set of documents, permits and inspector signature card are to be available on site upon request.

    Typical inspections for attached and detached garages include the following:  

    • UFER
    • Footing
    • Foundation Wall
    • Underground Electrical
    • Exterior Sheathing
    • Rough Utilities (Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing)
    • Frame
    • Roofing
    • Exterior Lath
    • Drywall
    • Framing final inspection
    • Final Utilities (Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing)
    • Final Construction
    • Fire - If your project is within five feet of the property line, you will need to install a 1 hour fire wall
    • Wastewater sanitary sewer replacement if building is over or within 2 feet of sewer or if approved plans show sewer replacement.  
    • ROW - Construction Engineering will inspect work performed in the ROW and check to see if ROW infrastructure was damaged during construction.
    • Denver Forestry


    NOTE:  The inspections listed above may vary depending on the complexity of your project. 


    Who Will Be Doing the Work?

    Decide whether you plan to complete the project yourself or hire a licensed contractor to complete the job for you.

    Do It Yourself

    Do-It-YourselfYou may need to pass a Home owners exam  to demonstrate proficiency in specific trades in order to get a permit to do the work yourself. 

    You will also need to meet a set of requirements established by the Denver Building Code and the Building Department Policy ADMIN 131.3 governing homeowner completed work.  This policy can be found on our Building Codes, Forms and Policies page. 


    Contractors Use the Contractor license search to see if your contractor has obtained a contractor's license from the City and County of Denver. 


    To view other considerations, see our Doing the Work Yourself page.

    Home Projects

    Every project is different.  Depending upon the complexity of your project, the permit requirements and inspection process may vary from the information presented in this guide.  If you have any questions, please contact us.


    What you need to know for your project!

    Enter your property address or street intersection:
    View property details including zoning, landmark status, inspector districts and more.