- Special mobile machinery (SMM) vehicles are of a design commonly used in the construction business. These vehicles, self-propelled or otherwise, are not designed to transport persons or cargo over the public highways.
- Motor vehicles which have been redesigned or modified with the attachment of special equipment or machinery (over 500 pounds), and this attachment becomes an essential part of the operation for which the vehicle was intended, will be classified as special mobile machinery.
In order to register and/or title heavy equipment or special mobile machinery (SMM) in Denver County, the following documentation is required:
- New owner identification. (Secure and verifiable)
- Bill of sale. Bill of sale must be properly completed.
- Equipment Invoice. (Bills of sale and equipment invoices often will not indicate the year of manufacture or the model of the equipment. The owner will therefore need to provide the serial number for the unit.)
- Affidavit of ownership.
- Vehicle title. Vehicle title must be properly endorsed by previous owner.
- Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO).
* Out-of-state SMM equipment. SMM equipment is to be registered immediately upon entry within the State of Colorado. Registration options for SMM equipment are available as SMM off-highway decals or on-highway plates. Please vist the Department of Revenue for more information on Port of Entry requirements.